PDA

View Full Version : 4th Annual Conroe Cajun Catfish Contest (2008)

dpiper
08-01-2008, 04:45 PM
THE CONROE CAJUN CATFISH FESTIVAL CONTEST
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/dlpiper/CCCFCatfish.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/dlpiper/cccf-title1.jpg

It's that time of year again. The Conroe Cajun Catfish Festival (http://www.conroecajuncatfishfestival.com/)and FishingTx.com are sponsoring its forth annual Cajun Catfishing Contest. Prizes will be awarded for the largest three catfish submitted. Consolation prizes will be randomly given out by FishingTx.com via a drawing at the conclusion of the contest. Actual prizes as well as quantity of prizes will be based on donations made by local merchants. See the prize list below.

Contest will begin on September 5th and end on October 11th at 8am. All catfish entered will be weighed and photographed (with angler), and documented. Anglers of the three largest catfish will be awarded the three top prizes by FishingTx.com. In addition to the three largest catfish awards random anglers will be selected via a drawing and awarded consolation prizes. Every catfish submitted over five pounds will get the angler an additional entry into the random drawing. See the prize list below and keep them catfish coming.

Entry Procedure. Catch a catfish between September 5th and 8am on October 11th and bring it to April Plaza Marina located on the Atkin Creek on southwest side of Lake Conroe on Hwy 105. A marina employee will assist you in entering the catfish into the contest. Take a picture of the catfish with the angler and record it along with the angler’s name and contact information. Or you can submit your entry directly into FishingTx.com via a post in a dedicated thread, which will be set up prior to the start of the contest. Contest photos will be printed and on display at the Cajun Catfishing Contest and FishingTx.com booth at the Conroe Cajun Catfish Festival (http://www.conroecajuncatfishfestival.com/) October 11th, 12th and 13th.

If the catfish entered into the contest is over 10 pounds it is recommended to be returned to the lake. Big catfish awards will be announced and presented on Oct 13th between noon and 3:00pm at the Cajun Catfishing Contest and FishingTx.com booth. Consolation prize winners will be drawn and presented after the big catfish awards have been announced. Winners are not required to be present to accept winnings.

Contest rules are as follows:
• To be eligible for awards angler must submit a catfish to the contest;
• To be eligible for 1st place award the angler must submit a catfish photo;
• Only catfish caught legally will be allowed to be entered into the contest;
• An angler can enter as many catfish as they catch;
• Only catfish 5 pounds and larger will be accepted into the contest (each catfish entered will be another chance in the random drawing);
• All catfish 10 pounds and larger should be returned to the lake;
• All efforts must be made to keep the catfish alive, if catfish does not swim off angler must maintain catfish in an edible condition;
• All state and local boating laws must be followed.

Top prizes in order of award*:
· 1st place – $300
· 2nd place – $200
· 3rd place – $100

Current list of random prizes include:
· 10 FishingTx Flagging Jugs
· 2 – Regulation size FishingTx cloverleaf perch traps.
· $50 Gift Certificate from Bass Pro Shop
· More to come…

*Prizes subject to change pending final outcome of donations and availability.

NewCaneyFishingLady
08-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Fantastic news Mr. Piper!! I was about to send a search party to find you since I haven't seen you in a while.

medic1292
08-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice, hopefully my boat will be ready b4 then. i owuld really like to fish one of these contests!:applause:

Ole Bill
08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
i might get in on this one myself.

agdave112
08-01-2008, 07:08 PM
durn i wish i could have waited to catch that flathead on r&r!

dbldaddy
08-01-2008, 07:14 PM
kcf, sounds like a calling

kingwoodcatfisherman
08-01-2008, 07:54 PM
kcf, sounds like a calling

I heard the calling early this morning and was thinking about it !! That 's great that dpiper posted the details today !

GILBERT G
08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
is jugging fair game in the tournament or is it only R&R ?

kingwoodcatfisherman
08-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I know that they were catching some big ones last year with the flagging jugs. The contest reads to catch them in a legal way which I would believe would be R&R , jug , or even a trotline. Please correct me if I am wrong.

LuckyBass13
08-02-2008, 12:59 AM
I am gonna try it too, do I have to registed?

irfishyir2
08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Too Cool!!!

gator gar
08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
I imagine I will get in on this one too. I could fish it every week-end til I hit a big one. Yea, right.

Gentleben
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
That would really make it a historical event!!BWAHHAH:sinking:AHAH
i might get in on this one myself.

john
08-02-2008, 08:55 AM
:new_shocked:
That would really make it a historical event!!BWAHHAH:sinking:AHAHYou get em ole bill.

dpiper
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Yes, all legal means.
is jugging fair game in the tournament or is it only R&R ?

dpiper
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
LB, all you have to do is submit your catch to the contest.
I am gonna try it too, do I have to registed?

kingwoodcatfisherman
08-04-2008, 09:10 AM
What do you think that we will need to win it this year .... a 60 plus ??

Ole Bill
08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
:new_shocked:You get em ole bill.yea i will just let em all go out there and catch em then just before time ta end i will go catch that big un i kn ow about and aint tellin no one cept gator he knows where its at but he better not tell. uh huh the monster fish gator that big ole yaller one

Scotta
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Ben your too funny. "Historical event"
Thanks for the update. Maybe I will go soak a bait or two. I know this is a stupid question, I assume this is not a scatter tournament and the fish has to be caught on Lake Conroe. I'm just saying! Jackie might give you a run for your money up on Cedar Creek. "I'm Just Saying...."

LuckyBass13
08-04-2008, 12:10 PM
LB, all you have to do is submit your catch to the contest.

THANKS FOR INFO..:applause: I will!!!

DBullard
08-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Gator Gar maybe you could spend two nights in a row on the lake.lol

I imagine I will get in on this one too. I could fish it every week-end til I hit a big one. Yea, right.

UFgatorHarv
08-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm definitely in, this sounds awesome!

Troutless
08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Entry Fee? That would raise some money for prizes. I'm not trying to stir anything, I'm just a newbie wanting to know.

agdave112
08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
do you have to take it to april plaza or can you take a photo of the fish on the scale measurements and photo with the angler yourself? If i catch one i consider worthy (and its not a olp) i would want to release it quickly.

dpiper
08-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Updated awards.

For y'all new comers this is the fourth annually contest we have not had a repeat winner. Also, every year the winning fish has gotten bigger. My guess is that the winning fish will have to be in the upper 50s and possible 60+ pounds.

Good luck to all.

LuckyBass13
08-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Updated awards.

For y'all new comers this is the fourth annually contest we have not had a repeat winner. Also, every year the winning fish has gotten bigger. My guess is that the winning fish will have to be in the upper 50s and possible 60+ pounds.

Good luck to all.

dpiper, U and me gonna go and find those 60+ lbs cat.. how would that work for u??
:applause:

UFgatorHarv
09-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Do they do a big fish, and a big stringer seperately?

What was the poundage that won the top 5 fish division last year?

UFgatorHarv
09-02-2008, 04:15 PM
OK, so I am an idiot. I need to read more better because all along I was under the impression that it was total poundage of your best 5 fish. Nevermind...

dpiper
09-02-2008, 06:49 PM
But it only took you 7 minutes to figure it out.
Do they do a big fish, and a big stringer seperately?

What was the poundage that won the top 5 fish division last year?

OK, so I am an idiot. I need to read more better because all along I was under the impression that it was total poundage of your best 5 fish. Nevermind...

dpiper
09-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Absolutely. We'll schedule a nite of action. Maybe you, I and a girl named Sue.

PS. Coulter vs Lesner UFC 91, Nov 15th.

dpiper, U and me gonna go and find those 60+ lbs cat.. how would that work for u??

Gentleben
09-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Guys come on all the rules are psoted......:applause:

DBullard
09-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Ben rules are like directions mean don' read them either.
Guys come on all the rules are psoted......:applause:

UFgatorHarv
09-03-2008, 08:44 AM
But it only took you 7 minutes to figure it out.

What can I say... I have lived in Aggieland for 6 years.

kingwoodcatfisherman
09-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Gig'em Aggies !! UFgatorHarv is going to bring some serious competion to the contest this year. I sure am glad that he is with the FishingTx group. We have to make sure and keep the winner in the family.

UFgatorHarv
09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
hahahha, well I hope. My trailer is a little broken right now, but if I can find time, it shouldn't be hard to fix. KWCF, do you ever come up to games? If so we have some very cool tailgate parties that you would be more than welcome at... They're also family friendly for the kids. The age range of our tailgaters is 3-58. Let me know if you're ever up this way!

Now BTHO New Mexico St... I hope

Scotta
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Ben whats "rules"

Thats the longhorn rules

dpiper
09-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm going to keep the entry page updated but if I miss an entry please PM to let me know. Also post all entries into the Conroe Forum.

dpiper
09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Its now official. In light of the recent hurricane Ike and having to move the Muster to Lake Houston it has been decided to allow all catfish caught during the Lake Houston muster in the contest. All rules outlined above shall apply except that Lake Houston will be added starting Thursday at noon and ending Sunday at midnight. That gives y'all Lake Houston guys and muster goers 60 hours to land a big'un.

The current leader is UFGatorharv with a 39+lb'r.

Thanks and good luck.

kingwoodcatfisherman
09-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Well that sure is nice of you to do that ! But I think the chances of catching a 39 plus at Lake Houston will be challenging. If you do , then you will not only be leading the contest but you will have a Lake Record as well !! :applause:

On the otherhand , at least this will give many the opportunity to enter some smaller fish into the drawings. Great idea !! This will make the fishing for next week more exciting for many ! Thanks !!

kingwoodcatfisherman
10-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I was reading the above post from above that I wrote a week ago before the muster . I almost wrote that it would be impossible to catch a catfish over 39 pounds but instead I chose to use the words challenge instead.

I sure was wrong about the size fish that were caught at Lake Houston ! Great Job on those big fish CT and Wayne !:applause:

Gentleben
10-10-2008, 06:33 AM
BAWAWAWWAWWAWWHAHHAHAHAHHAHA yea h yo uare rioght!!!!!!!!!!
Ben rules are like directions mean don' read them either.

Gentleben
10-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Trust me KFC there are some trophy catfish in Lake hou folks jsut can't catch them!!!!!!!!!
Well that sure is nice of you to do that ! But I think the chances of catching a 39 plus at Lake Houston will be challenging. If you do , then you will not only be leading the contest but you will have a Lake Record as well !! :applause:

On the otherhand , at least this will give many the opportunity to enter some smaller fish into the drawings. Great idea !! This will make the fishing for next week more exciting for many ! Thanks !!

Gentleben
10-11-2008, 01:45 PM
We , the Warden and me will be at the fesival this evening .I recieved a phone call this morning told me i needed to be there so i made a call and made reservations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

NewCaneyFishingLady
10-11-2008, 03:59 PM
That's great Ben, I wish I was going to be there to see y'all. You and Gloria have a good time. I will be there all day tomorrow.

Gentleben
10-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Boy Sue did we have a grand time rubbing elbows with great fampous internatinally known fishing guides and the Executive WebMaster of Fishingtx and also Chairman of the Conroe Cajun Catfish Muster , Piper is the man !!!!!!!!!!!
Got some good pics of him with the world know and reknown the Warden!! Had to bring her home cause her heels were killing her and Piper were burning up the dance floor!!!!!!!!!!!

Gentleben
10-11-2008, 10:28 PM
MAn they were doing the CAjun stomp the aligator waltz , teh bump bump boogie and i don't know what else they were playing sounded like a mexican polka :applause:

Gentleben
10-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Guess taht Mr Pibb must got the Warden loose never seen her like that !!!!!!!!!! Ole piepr had teh mwheels smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause::secret:

Gentleben
10-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Got some othrr pics hope you all enjoy!!:secret:

kingwoodcatfisherman
10-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Looks fun ! Nice pics ! Ben you like a fisherman ! hee hee!!!

NewCaneyFishingLady
10-12-2008, 10:58 AM
MAn they were doing the CAjun stomp the aligator waltz , teh bump bump boogie and i don't know what else they were playing sounded like a mexican polka :applause:

I bet that was a bunch of fun!! The Piper is quite a two-stepper too!!!

Everyone come on out to see us today.

Ole Bill
10-12-2008, 12:00 PM
nice pics next year i will be an official texas home owner just about done tuesday is the day i hope once im moved in me and gator is going fishing and then to oklahoma to get my stuff and next year we going to the catfish festival

Gentleben
10-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Think they even did the Chupacavras" and teh wah-tusi !!! !!!!!!!!!!! The monster mash and the Pony!!MAN tha tgoes baclk a longgggggg :applause:time !!!!!!!!!!!

NewCaneyFishingLady
10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
WoW, I had a great time today at the Annual Conroe Cajun Catfish Festival, thanks to FishingTX.com and DPiper!! I found me a boyfriend too!!!!!

I have to give a plug for Grampy Larry's Lakehouse, on FM1097, who had a booth that I got real cozy with. They gave away fried twinkies, fried lasagna and garlic boiled shrimp. All of it was good; but shrimp! Come on, shrimp is real hard to beat and they were big, too, 2 biter shrimp. Yummy, yummy!!

But let's get back to my boyfriend. We danced the surface off of the street. I couldn't beat him off with a stick. He is so cute and just kept me on my feet after we met. I sure hated to see him leave but his mom and dad said it was time to go. :( He is Carl's (Wethook Fishing Guide) grandson.

Gentleben
10-12-2008, 09:51 PM
WHAT?? Free food !! How come nobody told me ?? I stil had a graet time ............:applause:

T-111-5
10-13-2008, 06:59 AM
SUSAN YOU REALLY NOW HOW TO PICKEM. Looks like you two had fun.!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause::applause::):)

Gentleben
10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
certainl ygives a new meaning to the term "cradle robber' ,:icon_wink:

dpiper
10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks to all who made it. It was a great weekend. It started out Thursday afternoon for me. After our previous tank was stolen I had Steven go get another one. We then met at Inland Marina at 8:30p to catch some fish to display at the festival. We took the old standby beef heart just in case shad was scarce. Steven really needs to learn how to throw a cast nets. We were able to only catch a few shad and perch in the banana shaped cast net. We set out 12 jugs in Piper's Cove and baited them with the shad, perch and beef heart. And the headed back to the festival area to set up the tank in preparations for the fish we were going to put in it. My wife, son and nephew Riley met us there to help out.After getting everything ready Riley went back with to catch some fish. Before leaving the marina area Riley put on a cast throwing seminar for Steven and we loaded up with bait. I hope Steven took notes.

Any ways we starting picking up around 7:30a with out a big'un. I was a little disappointed but was pleased with the 45 keepers (up to five pound) we were able to stock the display tank with.

One thing we need for next year is a better filter for the tank. Boy do those catfish dirty up a tank.

It was a great long weekend.

Gentleben
10-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Piper I will set you up a swimming pool filter, should work great !!!!!!!!!:secret:

medulla762
10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Piper, when's the fish fry? ...hehehe...

dwaynez
10-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I made the last few, but no go this year. Sorry I missed it, it's always blast at the Festival.