View Full Version : I knew it would happen again!

irfishyir2
02-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I just knew as soon as I planted a bunch of maters we would get a freeze. Well, this year I'm ready for old Doc Frost...........I got'em all covered up nice and cozy. Now, I just hope it works!!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Plantersville/cover-1.jpg

heycods
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks ! Im gona need some of them in my hot sauce.

NewCaneyFishingLady
02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Looks like they will be protected from this light freeze tonight. You did your part! Oh, how well, I remember those days of trying to get my plants in the ground after what you think might be the last freeze. It always happens. Just think though, a flood of rain could be worse and cause root rot. Oh, wait, that has happened to me, too. Good luck with your maters and garden!!!!

Thin Water Tracker
03-01-2009, 03:55 AM
I almost dragged all 260 of my plumeiras out this pass week, I'm glad I didn't Got some pepper, Squash and a few other goodies but they are still on the heating mat under the grow light they will be fine for a few more weeks if need be.

irfishyir2
03-01-2009, 06:50 AM
yep, I keep pushing the limit and woulda had my plants out on Feb 1st if not for surgery keeping me from it. I'm thinking of making me a temporary hot house to cover all these plants so I can keep growing in the fall and winter....

john
03-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Did you stay up all night checking on them Fishy?

irfishyir2
03-01-2009, 07:37 AM
nope......I'm still in my PJ's and the thermometer outside my windows shows 30 so I'll wait til the sun gets up a little more and warms up....I'm a woozie when it comes to cold!!!

heycods
03-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Heat wave here last night. 24* supposed to freze again tonight. Im ready for that 93* again we saw last week.

irfishyir2
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
yep, I hear ya talking........freeze here tonite as well so I'm leaving the maters covered but back in the 70's the rest of the week....I may have dodged the bullet.

Ole Bill
03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
well i aint puttin mine in the ground till after the 10th cause the garden bible is saying possible frosts up to the 10 th and there is always the Easter storm ta think about Im not up to working that hard in the garden or wasting any money on new plants

Bill Barrick
03-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Covered my potatoes and pinto beans that were coming up. All my fragile plants are in the living room!! I may have said this before about the Recession and buying ammo. Well I have a opretty good stock of shells so what I did was to add seven more 30- foot rows to my garden and add electric fencing. Man you ought to see how fast a deer can leave when they touch their nose to the wire.

Ole Bill
03-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Bill i run two strands one about 5 to 6 inches off the ground and one about 3 foot down low keeps the rabbits coons and possoms out and the other one keeps out the deer. oh yea the one down low does a good job of keepin the cats out too

Bill Barrick
03-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Yup sounds good Old Bill, I once witnessed a 150 lb duroc walk over a hot wire. It hit first on his belly and he began to run with the wire hung in front of his hind legs. He stretched the wire about 20 feet out before he got loose from it. He got hit about 3 or 4 times and let out a squeal each time. You couldn'dt drive him in that direction after that.

Bill Barrick
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Weather for Conroe tonight is supposed to be 29 degrees.

Ole Bill
03-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Yup sounds good Old Bill, I once witnessed a 150 lb duroc walk over a hot wire. It hit first on his belly and he began to run with the wire hung in front of his hind legs. He stretched the wire about 20 feet out before he got loose from it. He got hit about 3 or 4 times and let out a squeal each time. You couldn'dt drive him in that direction after that.i had one low to the ground to keep my dogs in when i first put it up my ole sam dog went to his usual spot and hiked his leg and let go when he finally calmed down i went out and told him not to do that again what did he do but try another place after the second time you couldnt git him close to the fence anywhere in the yard.

Ole Bill
03-03-2009, 01:05 PM
hey fishy i was gonna put this in here cause you said you were short on room. this is a real neat site to look over for all the gardners on here http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/index.html

irfishyir2
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
that is a neat site but I still would need the same space to plant my 75 mater plants in. thats good reading for sure.