PDA

View Full Version : FDIC warns US bank deposit insurance fund could tank

spinner
03-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Thu Mar 5, 1:20 pm ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US government is warning banks that its deposit insurance fund could go broke this year as bank failures mount.

The head of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Sheila Bair, in a letter to bank chief executives dated March 2, defended the FDIC's plan to raise fees on banks and assess an emergency fee to shore up the fund and maintain investor confidence.

Bair acknowledged the new fees, announced Friday, would put additional pressure on banks at time of financial crisis and a deepening recession, but insisted they were critical to keep the insurance fund solvent and protect.

"Without these assessments, the deposit insurance fund could become insolvent this year," Bair wrote.

The FDIC chief said in the letter that the rapidly deteriorating economic conditions raised the prospects of "a large number" of bank failures through 2010.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/financeeconomyusbankinggovernment;_ylt=ArCiVB6Nhio KZGnHVsGK8nrZn414

irfishyir2
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM
How can the FDIC go broke? All they have to do is print more money!! Its the government!

GILBERT G
03-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I don`t trust any banks or investors
so I just put in for half of my 401 money and I`m keeping it in my personal save if they NATIONALIES BANKS they will freeze all 401 money

dbldaddy
03-07-2009, 11:43 PM
put ur money under your pillow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!