PDA

View Full Version : sea slugs suck

minner skinner
12-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Back in the pacific I would throw plastics for halibut in the harbors. During certain times the harbor would fill up will sea slugs. The inevitable foulhooked slug would beat the fastest halibut to my lure. The nasty slug had tough skin and was hard to get off the hook. Has anybody else foul hooked anything that was less desirable than the intended species for which the bait was intended? :cry:

Thin Water Tracker
12-16-2004, 05:55 AM
I think we call them hard heads here in Texas LOL

dwaynez
12-16-2004, 08:14 AM
When going for good catfish and I wind up with a large snapping turtle on the line who is not happy.

Thin Water Tracker
12-16-2004, 01:49 PM
I hear that when we ran line years back I hated dealing with those guys.

dwaynez
12-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Yep that hissing and snapping will sure get your attention

Thin Water Tracker
12-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Just not as bad a a cotton mouth!

minner skinner
12-16-2004, 08:32 PM
well snakes and snapping turtles are pretty bad. I once hooked one angry seagull as i casted. The line wrapped around its wing. I finally got it off with a few near misses from its beak.

Thin Water Tracker
12-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Gulls LOL on about the 3rd trip we made down to PIN I had a bud that was fishing for them. I always ended up being the cook and one after noon I was cook the day catch and I hear a drag screeming I look up and he got a gull one of those big brown one taking drag. He was taking cut bait and runing the mono throught it with no hoook and trowing it out the trick was to let them take it down before pulling in the slack line he said There was five of us on that trip and with in ten mins. tfour of them was hooked up. The thing we do to burn free time. LOL

dwaynez
12-17-2004, 07:06 AM
TWT

You mentioned cotton mouths, I was wade fishing when I was about 12 or so and I stepped into a nest of snakes, I was standing up to my knees in murky water and I could feel the snake swimming between my legs, but I could not see em. Also a foul musk was in the air which is a warning sign from a cottonmouth, it scared me pretty good.

Thin Water Tracker
12-17-2004, 10:31 PM
We kill four or five each year at the plant. The do stink and once you have smelled one you know the next time when one is close.

minner skinner
12-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Stepped in a snake nest? Could feel them squirmining? Ugh now I'm gonna have a nightmare. Thats gotta be one of the worse things Ive ever read. I dont like snakes at all.

Thin Water Tracker
12-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Over the year I have heard of a lot of water skiers loosing they lifes from doing he same type of thing But the snakes don't take people slaming in to them.

dwaynez
12-28-2005, 07:53 AM
It was a not a pleasant feeling to have a snake swimming around me and actually touching me, I am a lot more aware while fishing now than I was back then.

Steve
12-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Jeepers Dwayne, It had to be God himself that kept them for killing you dead as a rock. When they're doing that little trick they're highly aggressive.

Just the thought of being anywhere near a wad of breeding copperheads or moccasins would scare me crapless.

Steve

dwaynez
12-28-2005, 09:23 AM
What made it so bad is we moved to that spot because we had seen snakes in another area, the water was muddied up so I could fee them, but I could not see them. It was pretty intense to say the least and the thought of what if kicked in later that night when I had a chance to think about it.