PDA

View Full Version : Going commercial today..........

gator gar
04-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I think I am going to go ahead and get my commercial fishing license today. I have a few people that want to buy fish and I don't want to get caught without the license. I think the boat license and the commercial license and the license to sell from my truck will run a little over 225 dollars.

Finding some regular buyers, seems to be the key if you want to try and make some money. I know there isn't a kiling to be made, but it will supplement my income, while I am laid off. That is, if I work it like a job and not come in, until I have my limit.

Any thoughts on this from anyone??? The worst thing I have to do, is switch my jugs over to the orange color. No big deal really.

Any of ya'll know anyone that does this on the side and makes a little money???

Thin Water Tracker
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
You may want to add the cost of insurance to you total. All it take is one mishap and you could lose every thing. Not trying to make it sound like the bad guy here it going to happen. When people pay for services and get hurt there is always a lawyer that will take the case no matter how small it may seem. Friend will do it to friends, family members will do to their own family. Not trying to kill your plan just think about protecting yourself and your family.

matt78133
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
rather than commerical fishing and selling fish do you think you could sell some juglineing trips as a fishing guide and make a few dollars. Or maybe try both.

Ole Bill
04-09-2009, 01:12 PM
good luck GG hope it works out for ya

gator gar
04-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I just got back from Beaumont and am now allowed to fish commercially. I thought I had to buy the license to sell out of my truck, but since I am only selling my catch, I don't have to. I triple checked everything about it with the lady selling the license and with a Game Warden there and then back to the lady again.

If I had other peoples fish, then I would have to have that license. I just can't be over my possesion limit, while selling. That saved me 175 dollars, right there alone. All I want to sell, is just mine anyway.

I stopped on the way and talked to a few people and made some sells for next week. My wife is going to make up some flyers and I will start taking some orders for fish, once the word gets out.

CBI, the company I worked for, just laid off a bunch more in the pipe shop. There are only a hand full of people left. Things are getting pretty tough out there, that's for sure.

Gonna spend the day switching some of my jugs over to The Orange Color that is required. That is, after I take my afternoon nap.:applause:

gator gar
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
You may want to add the cost of insurance to you total. All it take is one mishap and you could lose every thing. Not trying to make it sound like the bad guy here it going to happen. When people pay for services and get hurt there is always a lawyer that will take the case no matter how small it may seem. Friend will do it to friends, family members will do to their own family. Not trying to kill your plan just think about protecting yourself and your family.

Can you give me an example of how they will get hurt, by me selling them a bag of catfish fillets????

Or are you talking about me getting hurt??? I'm just not following you.

gator gar
04-09-2009, 01:30 PM
rather than commerical fishing and selling fish do you think you could sell some juglineing trips as a fishing guide and make a few dollars. Or maybe try both.

All that is needed is a License to guide and I can't stay up that long. Ask CT, Piper and Medulla. I am not one for showing someone an all night catfishing trip. When I am ready to go, I'm ready to go.

Scotta
04-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Maybe you can offer an abbreviated 2 hour trip complete with sausage lunch out on the water. Stamina aside you can cook a mean sausage. Sell that with the fish and you will have to expand.

gator gar
04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Maybe you can offer an abbreviated 2 hour trip complete with sausage lunch out on the water. Stamina aside you can cook a mean sausage. Sell that with the fish and you will have to expand.

Now you are talking. That sounds like a plan.:applause:

matt78133
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
i have just been out with me and my son and to be honest not being that familar with the lake night trips have intimidated me into leaving early. I usually set the jugs then decide it would be best to grab them in the morning rather than check / rebait them.

I cant wait to get out with the generator/football stadium lights and see what night fishing in the daylight is like

GILBERT G
04-09-2009, 06:06 PM
with the fish that don`t sell maybe you can make
fish sausage . just a thought !

Scotta
04-09-2009, 06:20 PM
You go commercial. I'm going postal. lol. When it rains it pours.

matt78133
04-09-2009, 06:35 PM
i dont know about fish sausage, but I could go for some fish tacos right now. Fried catfish, corn tortilla , sliced cabbage/ tomato and sprinkle of lemon juice and some tartar...ooooh yah!

DBullard
04-09-2009, 06:44 PM
GG will eat up all the profit if he went to selling sausage!!!He loves sausage way to much to sell it.Fact is he will use his fish money to buy sausage!!!!!!LOL

DBullard
04-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh Did I Mention Gg Loves Sausage!!!!!