PDA

View Full Version : Snake in the Grass

dwaynez
04-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Well I was out clearing up some weeds and pulled out a few old timbers, a Snake was sitting under the timbers, he decided to pose for a few pics.

Anybody know exactly what type of snake this is, I thought it was a chicken or rat snake, but I am not sure. I know it's not venemous by the shape of the head, but anyone care to identify this snake.

dwaynez
04-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Our cat decided she wanted to take a closer look at the snake as well.

The snake was around 4 ft long or so.

NewCaneyFishingLady
04-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Looks like a speckled kingsnake. They are good to have around since they eat rodents and other reptiles.

rholstein3922
04-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Black King Snake (Lampropeltis getulus nigra)

The black king snake is a large snake ranging in sizes from (36 to 44 inches) in length. Adults are most of all black with traces of white in random areas on their bodies. Their bellies are cream yellow with black mottling. Their mouths are white to yellow. The black king snake is needed and is important to our environment because it controls rodent populations. The black king snake is unique because it is immune to venomous snake bites, and preys on venomous and non-venomous snakes. The black king snake also preys on small mammals. The black king snake is frequently found in forest clearings and fields.

Species Status: Common

Similar Species: Black rat snake, Racer Snake

Eggs/Young: May lay up to 30 eggs every year, during June and July

Life Span: May live up to 15 years

john
04-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Mikec should have something to say about this snake.
Its a good looker!

mj1956
04-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Yea it is a King Snake.

BassBowl
04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm jumping on the king snake band wagon....looks alot like the california king, I used to keep back in the seventies...

BB

Scotta
04-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Crocidile Mikechel can give you the darwinistic history of it and even tell you why you better leave it alone. Only guy I know to let a snake bite him while he is removing a hook and say , "Come on this is hurting you more than it's hurting me." :applause:

Mikec should have something to say about this snake.
Its a good looker!

bearwhiz
04-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Looks like an anaconda to me. They all look like anacondas to me. They scare the devil out of me and make me hurt myself getting away. I know, I know, BIG WIMP!

croxt
04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
i am with NCFL on his one......

http://www.agfc.com/wildlife-conservation/reptiles/snakes/spackled-kingsnake.aspx

gator
04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
looks like a snakeneedsakilling to me

Scotta
04-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I saw the title snake in the grass and I thought this was gonna be about USAA Federal Savings. lol.

mikechell
04-13-2009, 06:13 PM
NCFL and Croxt have said it all. That's a good picture on that website, Croxt.
There are many different species of king snakes across the country, and they are all excellent pest control, as long as those pest are rodents or poisonous snakes.
They aren't actually immune to the venom, it just doesn't affect them as badly as it does mammals. But they are named king snakes because of their willingness to eat other snakes. Pretty, this one you've seen, and they actually become quite docile when handled. I sure hope you didn't kill it.

Ole Bill
04-13-2009, 06:28 PM
i hope he didnt either mike if ya want to find a home for it bring it to my house i will give it a nice home under my house that way i wont worry about copper heads or rattle snakes. most ranchers will get very mad if you kill a king snake they were introduced here to control the rattlesnake population and have been doing a very good job of it. yep them guys hit the nail on the head with the name of it another one is the indigo or blue racer as some call it common name black king snake the western king looks a lot like a copperheads markings and on the pacific the california king snake mimics the coral snake

RIP-N-LIP
04-13-2009, 06:57 PM
something that can move that fast with no legs is the devil and the only good snake is a dead snake and then i still want nothing to do with it

dwaynez
04-14-2009, 05:05 PM
I did not kill it despite my wifes request, I just moved it from her future flower bed location to another spot.

I won't kill a snake unless it gets after my chickens or it is a venomous snake that gets aggresive.

mikechell
04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Rip ... according to the authorities on snakes, the fastest known snake can only travel at 3 miles per hour. That's the same speed as a normal person walks.
It just seems faster because of the terrain they usually are found in and the fact that most people are afraid of what they don't understand.
Snakes are not able to transmit ANY desease to humans, unlike almost all mammals and a lot of birds.
NO snake will ever strike a human unless cornered, handled or startled. (Water moccasins do NOT chase people ... they just aren't afraid to go past you to get to their escape route.)
Most snakes will quietly crawl away if you just stand still for a few minutes. Some of the more docile (or more bold) species may not crawl away because they are quite comfortable where they are.
There is no reason to be frightened of snakes. You are more likely to be hurt in your house than by a snake, no matter how much time you spend out doors.

Gentleben
04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I am with Rip on this one , that maingy ole snake tricked Eve into eatting the forbidden fruit and now look where we're at !!:lighting:Kill 'em all God will sort them out!!
something that can move that fast with no legs is the devil and the only good snake is a dead snake and then i still want nothing to do with it

GILBERT G
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
it`s best to let it go in your yard it`ll keep other snakes away

dwaynez
04-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I took pictures and let this one go outside my yard.

I have killed several moccasins over the last few years because they would get around my ac unit in the summertime and my dogs cornered them in the back yard.