PDA

View Full Version : Big blow hard

TallTexan
08-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Here we had the volunteer Fire dept go around and tell every one to stay in their house and take in their pets....All because of a well blowing out.

It is 1000s of feet away from any one's home,

I grew up with these thing and we NEVER had the scare tactic pass around like what goes on now days.

We had a well blow so hard when I was growing up the water condensing in the sky made a big donut in the sky but we did not have the fire Dept go around say "stay in your home...We are watching things".

You think that the Co handling the blow out would have things in hand and need not the volunteer Fire dept (they do and do not want a VFD any where around the site) It may take 5 to 7 days to plug the well. reminds me of growing up in the gas fields or being behind a 727 on take off

Just a VFD trying to make them self seem more important, but they have many people scare and living in motels

gator
08-19-2009, 09:29 PM
anyone got a light? oh yeah i dont smoke

TallTexan
08-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Nat gas is lither then air. It will not settle.....But do wish I could have what has blown the last 2 days could heat a home forever and run a generator till I die of old age

GILBERT G
08-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I don`t understand why they had such problem they should have BLOWOUT PREVENTOR

TallTexan
08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
That what I was asking .. see if I can get some photos tomorrow while I am out there. The rig is still standing and water and mud is blowing up through the rig.

EPA is here giving everyone a hard time telling them to plug ASAP....As if they were not doing their best already

mikechell
08-20-2009, 02:07 PM
IT's all because of the United States of Litigation we now live in. The company is adopting the "better safe than sorry" rule. Don't blame the fire department guys ... blame the lawyers.

muleherder
08-20-2009, 05:26 PM
It's the dumbing down of America. I think the govt wants a bunch of sheep to rely on them for direction.

Why do we have news reports telling you its hot today - drink plenty of water stay hydrated, dont over exert yourself. What happened before A/C and power tools?

Ooooh Ozone alert today. Stay inside. Dont leave your house. Give me a break.

Dont ride a bicycle without a HELMET. I dont think any of my bikes had a chain guard and the foot pedals broke pretty quick so all thats left was a slick bolt sticking out. And I rode it barefoot and it slipped plenty of times but a helmet?

Ohh and lawnmowers have to have a blade brake to keep you from putting your foot under a spinning blade. Goodness.

I cant believe there are that many dumb people. Most people have the sense to realize what they're doing. Litigation USA. Award millions to to the person who gets burned by hot coffee. Another million for the ones who kid plays with a BIC lighter and burns the house down. Dumbing down of America and reward and encourage people to take no responsibility for their actions.

So now we have to have the VFD out protecting people from themselves.

dbldaddy
08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Gee, I wonder y the gov't is broke

skeeter21
08-20-2009, 06:47 PM
I've made my living on drilling rigs for 30 years.
*Blow out preventers down always work, even with backup systems.
*I don't know where you live but depending on the depth and geographic location, it's possible that the gas escaping might have traces of H2S (hydrogen sulfide) and extremely poisonous. H2S is heavy and extremely flammable. I would do what the VFD says till you get the all clear.
Just my thoughts.

gator
08-20-2009, 07:04 PM
It's the dumbing down of America. I think the govt wants a bunch of sheep to rely on them for direction.

Why do we have news reports telling you its hot today - drink plenty of water stay hydrated, dont over exert yourself. What happened before A/C and power tools?

Ooooh Ozone alert today. Stay inside. Dont leave your house. Give me a break.

Dont ride a bicycle without a HELMET. I dont think any of my bikes had a chain guard and the foot pedals broke pretty quick so all thats left was a slick bolt sticking out. And I rode it barefoot and it slipped plenty of times but a helmet?

Ohh and lawnmowers have to have a blade brake to keep you from putting your foot under a spinning blade. Goodness.

I cant believe there are that many dumb people. Most people have the sense to realize what they're doing. Litigation USA. Award millions to to the person who gets burned by hot coffee. Another million for the ones who kid plays with a BIC lighter and burns the house down. Dumbing down of America and reward and encourage people to take no responsibility for their actions.

So now we have to have the VFD out protecting people from themselves.

you cant fix stupid

FlippinCrazy
08-20-2009, 07:41 PM
He has no experience with H2S and if he did he would listen. I agree with most everything he says but I do know that if I was remotely close to that situation I would be outta there too. H2S can kill ya It is a known associate of LPG and alot of people get HIT with small amount and get deathly sick I can qoute you the parts per million if needed be I work in the refinery and chemical plants I have heard all the PREACHIN about this stuuf for the last 20 yrs I can sure tell you some stories about that stuff

skeeter21
08-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I do agree with Muleheder. I never wore a helment while riding my bike, I drank from a water hose thousands of times; still do if I'm outside working, had a bag swing (toe-sack) when I was a kid that would launch you 40 feet in the air if you jumped from the tip top of the platform that kids made and don't remember ever wearing a seatbelt in my youth; I think Dad cut them out. Goodness, I guess I'm lucky to be alive.....

muleherder
08-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Here we had the volunteer Fire dept go around and tell every one to stay in their house and take in their pets....All because of a well blowing out.

It is 1000s of feet away from any one's home,

I grew up with these thing and we NEVER had the scare tactic pass around like what goes on now days.

We had a well blow so hard when I was growing up the water condensing in the sky made a big donut in the sky but we did not have the fire Dept go around say "stay in your home...We are watching things".

You think that the Co handling the blow out would have things in hand and need not the volunteer Fire dept (they do and do not want a VFD any where around the site) It may take 5 to 7 days to plug the well. reminds me of growing up in the gas fields or being behind a 727 on take off

Just a VFD trying to make them self seem more important, but they have many people scare and living in motels
Yes, H2S is very toxic at very low parts per million. Going inside will not protect you from H2S. You need to get upwind immediately and evacuate. The precautions were to go inside and take their pets. I'm not sure of the danger if you can go inside and get away from it.

TallTexan
08-20-2009, 11:39 PM
I've made my living on drilling rigs for 30 years.
*Blow out preventers down always work, even with backup systems.
*I don't know where you live but depending on the depth and geographic location, it's possible that the gas escaping might have traces of H2S (hydrogen sulfide) and extremely poisonous. H2S is heavy and extremely flammable. I would do what the VFD says till you get the all clear.
Just my thoughts.

I was born and raise in the gas field...Katy. All of my kin were/are OFT (Oil field Tec...Not trash)and I became a black sheep and became an engineer. I went to the site for I know some of the tec s. All H2O and Nat Gas

skeeter21
08-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Good deal TT. Glad to know you're informed in more ways than one. I wasn't saying there was a problem, just a possibility. I do think that drilling, especially for gas has changed more in the past 10 yrs than in the last 50.
Good Luck and hope things get back to normal on your end very soon.

Scotta
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey Mark it's nice to see you around. How about a Sam or TB bass report