PDA

View Full Version : Seriously

Scotta
08-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I am seriously thinnking of getting a pittbull. My friend at work just had a litter. Well.....Not him exactly but his dogs. I am thinking of getting one and Calling him "VICK" I wonder if he will figure my inside joke out and turn on me?

davejla
08-21-2009, 04:56 PM
He would probably turn on you anyway.

kingwoodcatfisherman
08-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I heard bad things about pits and then I have heard great things about them from people who have owned them . A dog like that seems like it would need lots of attention. You seem very busy . I would think about it .... Dogs are a lot of time and work .

If I didn't have my wife , I would not be able to own anything alive. (plants included )

davejla
08-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Why take the chance. They are land sharks. Once their instinct snaps, that's it.

catfishjon
08-21-2009, 08:26 PM
You have to ask yourself what you want the dog for. If you want a guard dog, and can train it properly, then it may work for you. If you want a companion, get something else. The liability issues of owning a dangerous breed of dog are growing every day. My personal choice is a small laid back small dog that loves kids. I could not live with my self if I had a pit bull and it killed or maimed a small child. Nothing I have is worth that. Catfishjon

vett0111
08-21-2009, 11:00 PM
I like pits. We grew up with pits. I have never had one we owned turn on me or anyone in my family. They are very loyal. We had one female named Lady. She was an awesome dog. She took care of us like no other. She would not let any harm come to us. One day two Other pits came into the yard chasing us. She had no part of that. She took on both dogs and won. She ran them out the yard and down the street. She came back calm and happy to be back with us. I don't know where the other dogs came from or why they were running lose. The area of town we grew up in pits were raised to fight.

It's all in how they are raised. Treat them good and they will return it back. Also common sense in getting one helps. Don't get one from someone that fights them. If you know the person you are getting the dog from is even better. They should be able to tell you about how the dog's parents are. Some dogs are high strung and some are calm. This is my opinion of course. Many don't like the breed cause of all the bad press. I understand the way they feel. To each their own. Same could be said about other breeds. Rots, Pinchers etc..etc...

Gentleben
08-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Friend of mine , ok someone I knew had one , long story short the dog mauled his little girls face before tehy could get the dog off her , they had to destroy it!! We have a weinner dawg and a heinz 57 they make good house alarm.:winner::bolt:

Scott you do not need a dog!!
you need a Bull Rdiers outfit!!

BassingtxLady
08-22-2009, 06:44 AM
I agree that how you raise a dog helps a lot with how they act.

However, I am not really a gambler and I think the odds are not on your side with a pit bull.

John3:16
08-22-2009, 08:49 AM
I have some very cute Rat Terrier pups for sale. There great with kids and are the best snake alarms I have ever had.

davejla
08-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Whether it is raised right or not, there is still a chance. All over the news you hear about people who raised them right and now their kids are mangled or dead. Why take a chance?

Scotta
08-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I think I may just wait and get a chocolate lab or German Rotweiler

Bass Fishin Tejanos
08-22-2009, 03:06 PM
I own a 18 week old Rottie, I've always loved the Rottweiler breed. I owned on Pit but it got stolen a couple of weeks before Brianna was born that was about 6 years ago. To me the Pit bull breed has always been more jealous around the person that handles them the most. I think that's why they are always in the news. Specially when one becomes a parent they see kids as a foe because the master pays more attention to the child than the dog.

Rottweilers seem more laid back to me. Not saying that the Rottie is the best dog to have, like Jeff said you have to have or make time with any dog. I personally try to spend as much time with my kids and family and our puppy so that it can find it place in the pac. And get it used to being around the kids. The more time a pup can grow up around its family the better it adjust to them. The Pits just have the history of being aggresive and when any dog has that bread into them they carry them selfs as the Alfa dog.

So Scott good luck on choosing a pup. Always buy from someone reponsable and that are dog lovers them selfs.

c dubya
08-22-2009, 05:30 PM
I had a pit at one time. She did not like other dogs and I have a scar from it. Hated being left alone. Alot of furniture notches on her belt. They are a good dog for some one who can be with them alot. I have german shepherds now, never going back.

vett0111
08-22-2009, 11:54 PM
I have some very cute Rat Terrier pups for sale. There great with kids and are the best snake alarms I have ever had.

How much you asking for the pups?