PDA

View Full Version : Man jailed for weighting fish

BassingtxLady
04-14-2010, 09:05 PM
No fish story: Man jailed for weighting fish

DALLAS - A suburban Dallas man must serve 15 days in jail after admitting to stuffing a lead weight into a bass he caught during a fishing tournament. A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman told The Dallas Morning News that Robby Rose must also surrender his fishing license. That's after the 45-year-old man pleaded guilty to felony attempted theft after admitting to rigging his fish.

The felony charge relates to the bass boat Rose hoped to win with the rigged fish at a bass-fishing tournament on Lake Ray Hubbard last October.

Rockwall County District Attorney Kenda Culpepper told the newspaper that her office considered the issue one of a $55,000 bass boat, not a 10-pound fish.

The newspaper reported fishing contest officials became suspicious after feeling a lump inside the fish and confronted Rose.

Information from: The Dallas Morning News, http://www.dallasnews.com

Bass Fishin Tejanos
04-14-2010, 09:30 PM
That is wack to say the least. Who would do that? Honestly
That guy deserves to loss his right to fishing for more than a year.

GILBERT G
04-14-2010, 09:48 PM
I agree with BFT

vett0111
04-14-2010, 11:56 PM
That is sad. Get greedy and get caught.

Gentleben
04-15-2010, 12:23 AM
SAd real sad !!That is theft!!! Thieves should be hung!!

bob w
04-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Put him on a stringer & stuff a few weights .lol.

kingwoodcatfisherman
04-15-2010, 07:43 AM
That's like robbing a store for $55,000. If the law sees it that way , he may not be fishing for a long time .

kayak_fishing92
04-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Yeah I heard about this a couple days after the tourney. Pretty sad thing what people would do just to win....

bass tracker
04-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Thieves are Thieves They Are no good!
They have done more for less money.
He needs to go to the Big House for that!

Bass Fishin Tejanos
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Thieves are Thieves They Are no good!
They have done more for less money.
He needs to go to the Big House for that!

X 2 on that one BT

Lou The Fisherman
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Thats why I stopped Bass Tourney fishing back in 1988. It was terrible back in the 80's. Lie dector test were approved for bass tourney fishing back in 1990 because so many of us stopped tournament fishing. Don't know if they still enforce it or not?

Back in the 80's some of the bass tournaments paid $5000. for big bass. Some guys would hire a person in Florida to air ship them a 10 or 11 lbs LMB and pay him $500.00 to do it plus they would pay couple hundred bucks for air shipment and they would end up winning large bass and would pocket the other $4300.00. They would put the bass in a fishbasket made out of cotton where it would not hurt the bass or damage it's scales and go tie it to a stump somewhere in Conroe.

When this sort of thing goes on it kinda makes you want to stop fishing competitively. Most of the time it's hard to beat crooks / thieves.

kingwoodcatfisherman
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
There was a couple of brothers that were doing that back in the 80's . I may have read the article in B.a.s.s. Magazine .

skeeter21
04-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Lie detectors are alive and well these days on the tournament trail.
I fish all of the Oilman's tournaments on Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend; 600-700 boats per tournament. Anyone who places in the top 50 are subject to take a lie detector test. Every tournament, someone either fails the test or drops out. You can fail a lie detector test for a number of reasons such as not wearing a PFD or kill switch not connected while on plane, fishing too close to another tournament boat, alcohol or drugs in the boat, fishing before official start times or after and the list goes on and on. If you fail a test you can never fish in a sanctioned tournament again, BASS, FLW, Redman, Fisher's of Men, Oilman's or whatever.
If you think you may have broken a rule, you can voluntarily withdraw from the tournament and all you loose is your entry fee.
This happened to a team last month in the Texas Oilman's Bass Invitational on TB. One partner was standing in line to be weighed with 5 fish that weighed 22#'s. His partner was putting rods in the rod box and someone spotted an unopened can of beer in the box and made a complaint to one of the directors. These guys lost a $3,200.00 pay day for a foolish mistake.
Rules are there for a reason when your fishing for $ and the guy at the start of this thread stole $55,000; no different in my opinion than someone stealing the same amount from a bank.

GILBERT G
04-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Lou you scurrred of the test
or you don`t like the ? they ask

cough syrup, is cough syrup, what the heck lol

vett0111
04-15-2010, 05:48 PM
LOL Gil

Lou The Fisherman
04-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Amen Skeeter21. rules are rules.

Gil - I have to have the cough syrup in case of a sneak attack!! Ya just never know when those attacks are gonna happen. Need to be prepared. lol