PDA

View Full Version : New life for Southeast Montgomery County

Bass Fishin Tejanos
06-06-2010, 11:12 PM
For us that live here in Southeast Montgomery County the only tourist attractions we have are Wally World the local Whatabuger and the Hot Biscuit. But things are about to change as some may already know by now the this part of the county is getting a face lift. With the proposed 99 Grand Parkway which looks like it will be built from Riley Fussel over the San Jac river just passed the Riverwalk commuinty and circle around to Community Dr. out by 59. This project bring more with it than just a new highway as Fred has seen for the past couple of months our newly built Porter High School which looks great by the way. And a new Amusement Park DINOSAUR PARK over off F.M 1485 and just west of 59. Which will include just about every thing one can imagine that can be built on 1600 acres. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the tax raise we will be paying.:icon_eek:Here is the link.....

www.houstondinopark.com

And also now a minor league ballpark. Things are looking great for East Mongomery County. For all of us that don't like to make a drive to the ballpark in downtown Houston. I'm excited about this project. Nothing like driving or walking to the ball game with the little ones.:applause:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/690564

Bass Fishin Tejanos
06-06-2010, 11:20 PM
HERE IS THE ARTICLE FOR THE BALLPARK IF YOU ARE HAVING PROMBLEMS OPENING THE LINK ABOVE.

Montgomery County looks to land a minor league team
By ZACHARY LEVINE
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
March 10, 2010, 7:10AM

Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]
Just weeks after Sugar Land entered an exclusive negotiating window with a developer to bring minor league baseball to Fort Bend County, another effort is afoot to give Greater Houston an additional baseball option.

The East Montgomery County Improvement District signed a memorandum of understanding with the Ventura Sports Group and Sugar Land-based Wallace Bajjali Development Partners to build a stadium in Montgomery County with the intention of hosting independent minor league baseball in 2012.

The site would be in Porter just off the U.S. 59 feeder road near the proposed intersection with the Grand Parkway extension.

According to the parties involved, the ballpark — located on 42 acres of land purchased by Wallace Bajjali — would be part of a larger development, which could feature a hotel, dining and retail.

"We bought this land knowing it was a growth corridor," said David Wallace, CEO of Wallace Bajjali and former mayor of Sugar Land.

With the land in place and the county interested, the search eventually commenced for a developer for the ballpark. The company selected was Ventura Sports Group, the owner and operator of independent teams in El Paso and Grand Prairie and their ballparks.

"Those are the type of venues that we like and would be a good fit for this area," EMCID president Frank McCrady said.

Ventura was a runner-up in the selection process for the Sugar Land site.

"The Houston market, being the largest market without minor league baseball, has been on our radar for a long time," Ventura managing partner Mark Schuster said.

The project is a mix of private funds with public money, which McCrady said could come from a parking tax, a venue tax and/or a sales tax.

Like in the Sugar Land plan, the first pitch will not be thrown by any major league club’s prospect. Only independent leagues will be considered.

The Astros declined to waive their right to block an affiliated team from moving into their metropolitan area in the Sugar Land case.

"We had heard time and time again that the Astros were not interested, so we didn’t approach them," Schuster said.

All signs seem to point to the American Association as the league in question.

It has teams within manageable bus distances from Greater Houston, and its 96-game schedule is attractive to Wallace Bajjali, which wants the ballpark to be available for high school and college use as well as other sporting events and concerts.

Of the leagues with a Texas presence, "the American Association is the strongest and is the logical choice," said Joseph Esch, the Wallace Bajjali director of economic development and public policy.

American Association commissioner Miles Wolff would "absolutely" be interested in expanding his league, which includes the Ventura-owned Texas teams as well as ones in Fort Worth and Shreveport, La., to Montgomery County.

"It’s all preliminary right now," Wolff said. "They have not made any formal application to the league."

Groundbreaking on the site is set for this year and all parties in the memorandum of understanding are optimistic about a 2012 start.

"If we break ground by the end of the year, we can have it done and giving ballpark tours with four or five months to spare," Schuster said.

[email protected]

vett0111
06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Look s like Dino world will be nice. Kids will really like that

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
06-07-2010, 03:54 AM
The Stros are eyeing a team, that they may, just may, be capable of beating.

BassingtxLady
06-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Sounds like this part of the world in North Harris and East Montgomery County is getting ready for an upgrade. It is about time.

GILBERT G
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
welcome to the real world ( East Montgomery )

as for the Montgomery Minor League team that`s good so the Harris county Minor league team ( Houston Astros ) can have a rival lol

Flathead Fred
06-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Too bad we missed out on the minor league baseball park a few months back:grr.
Huh George.

Craig
06-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Not too sure that I'm real happy with dinopark, it just so happens its planned for my front yard.. I moved to new caney to enjoy piece and quiet, not dinasaurs and water slides. Just my two cents.

Bass Fishin Tejanos
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I hear you there Craig. Nothing beats peace and quite.

Hey Fred, I think the ball park may still be in the works. I thinks