PDA

View Full Version : Proposed ban on lead

jsharp
09-05-2010, 05:24 PM
On August 23, 2010, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and others to ban lead from ammunition and fishing tackle, including sinkers, jigs, weighted fly lines and components containing lead, such as brass and ballast in lures, spinners, stick baits and others fishing products.

On August 27, the EPA denied the petition regarding ammunition, but let stand the petition to ban lead in fishing tackle and has opened a short period for taking public comment.

Such a ban would cause prices of fishing products to skyrocket. Alternative metals can cost from 6 to 15 times more than lead, and most do not perform as well. For many, fishing would no longer be the affordable sport it is now.

Please join us and Keep America Fishing in opposing this ban by submitting your comments to the EPA by no later than September 15, 2010. You can easily do so by clicking here.http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing...i=100275351&c=

The "click here" link will take you to a simple format to make your feelings know about a lead ban. There is even a prepared text that you can send if you do not want to send one of your own. It is a fast and easy way to assure your opinion is heard. Many segments of the fishing tackle industry are very concerned about this potential ban. We can assure you thart a lead ban would eliminate a large part of the fishing tackle industry and a lot of fishing.

Thank you for your help.

kingwoodcatfisherman
09-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Hmmm ... I hope not ! That would make the price of lures sky rocket even more !!

Bill Barrick
09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
We just might have to start using rocks for sinkers. What is the Center for Biological Diversity's reasons for that? I understand about a duck feeding on the bottoom and mistakenly eats a number four shot that gets ground up in it's gizzard.........how many 2 ounce sinkers have they found in anythings belly ---Huh --- How many?

KingTut
09-05-2010, 10:00 PM
You should read the studies made regarding lead in doves. They mistake the spent shot for seed and digest it. Then we wrap bacon around it!

I actually have quite a few non-lead sinkers in my tackle boxes. It was priced no different than lead or so it seemed. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not a tree hugger, but there are some reasonably priced alternatives to a metal that causes such damage to the environment and you may already be using some. Check your tackle.

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
09-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Yes, I'm sure lead is not a good thing, but the powers that be can't protect us from everything.
I for one am very opposed to the lead ban, just something else to forces us to do or not to do. I'm sure the lead ban will come into being sooner or later, and it will be against the law to sell. I don't look for it to be outlawed for use in my lifetime. I do wash my hands very well after working with lead and keep a fan blowing the fumes away when pouring it.

Scotta
09-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Are you freaking serious. Too much lead. Too much sugar. Too much Soda, but medical marijauna. Come on in! WTH. Here is my take, 28,000 surface acres with an average depth of over 20 feet. You can not convience me that a few lost weights increases the parts per million. Perhaps they are missing something. lead is a natural. They kept finding oil during the BP many miles away...it was natural seapage. I am just saying copuld be the same thing. Heavily fished ponds have more lost weights per volume and I havent heard of a big EPIDEMIC of lead poisoning.

Did you know that some congressman last month proposed a law against having salt in a resteraunt? Both cook and patrons. Causing heart disease. Thankfully, they laughed him off floor. Way too much government for my tastes. Think I may have to move to Afganistan and live under shiria law so I can get some freedom back. lol. Sorry Big Ben, I am not trying to turn this into a poilitical debate fo shizalle. I dont care what title you have D or R if you are for less govt intervention in our daily lives, I am for you. PERIOD! San Fransiisco wont allow sodas in machines because kids on average drink two a day but they have a medicinal marijuana distrubter on every corner complete with Doctor so you are sure to not leave empty handed.

They want to remove the toy in the happy meal because it contributes to chikdhood obesity. Really, are the eating the toy. Their is no correlation between a toy and body fet. How bout put down the controller of the xBox and get outside.

They should make possessing salt and phat in a resteraunt a class 1 schedule 2 drug punishable by......

fishingnthewind
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I have voted on this and opposed for sure..Scott i like your thinking.

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I have voted on this and opposed for sure-ME TO
..Scott i like your thinking. ME TO BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT HE SAID

adam it was and adam it wasn't

Snapshot
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM
I have heard of this proposal before and it was not aimed at just fishing lures. It is our enviromental lobbest that are looking for ways take away our ammunition or make it so hard to get that only a crook will have it. My thoughts are rather simple, to much governmental control by special interest groups are taking our rights away from us quicker than Ben can launch his boat. LEAD, is an natural metal that is mined and in the ground to start with and the argument was that we are putting to much lead in our rivers, lakes and forest because of the sportsmen leaving it there. If it comes from the ground all we are doing is putting it back where it came from. Perhaps we should mine lead just to remove it so Mother Earth won't get lead poisoning. Look out, they are after our ammunition, not the guns....