PDA

View Full Version : talon vs power pole

blowupguide
02-28-2011, 10:20 AM
I am about to buy a shallow water anchor, and need some advice from all you experienced people please. Do any of you know the pros/cons of the Minn Kota Talon vs the Power pole? I still have a couple of weeks to decide, so any wisdom from you guys is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Metalcutterr
02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Capt. Micky and Capt Benny on am610 outdoor show talked about both of them and said they prefer the talon over the power pole. Don't remember everything they said but one thing about the power pole was while moving on the water or on the trailed you should always remove the power and strap it up or it could deploy without you knowing it. It has happened to a few people they know. Something about it being hydraulic.
As for the talon I know they said it cost less and I think they said it was spring activated.

Scotta
02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I dont really know first hand but I say most of the top end bass boats with Power Pole. Dont know why? Maybe they were first.m lol

beavertail
02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I dont really know first hand but I say most of the top end bass boats with Power Pole. Dont know why? Maybe they were first.m lol

talon is brand new, it has just come out. power poles have been out for a while so you will naturally see more of them.

Personally on my next boat I am getting a talon for these main reasons.

Lighter
Quick release so I only have it on the boat when i'm going to lakes I need it.
Cheaper
Electric, easier install.

Hope this helps.

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I have a 8' Powerpole, because I found one used, with two remotes and installed for $900. It works fine. I don't know anything about the Talons because I have never even seen one, but I'm sure they are just fine.

blowupguide
02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
thanks for all the info, the guy at jh boats said he has sold 5 or 6 and hasn't had a return on the talon, I just hate to try something so new that it hasn't been field tested like the power pole, thanks again.

Metalcutterr
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53IE4qE4C-M

KingTut
03-01-2011, 04:34 AM
The power pole is hydrolic and will require space to mount a pump. I've heard of leaks being an issue. The new Talon is all electric, thus no pump and no potential for leaks. Keep in mind too, Minn Kota has a good track record of standing behind their warrenty.

The fishing show opens this comming weekend and would be a great place to learn more about both of them.

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
03-01-2011, 07:45 AM
All electric in wet conditions may, and that's a big may, have some connection that corrode over time. All my other electrical connections do. Here again, I don't know and am not a proponent of Powerpole nor Talon. Powerpole's do give some problems with leaking hydraulic fluid, I had to have a fitting replaced but it was covered by warranty. Anything mechanical will give some problems, sooner or later. That's just the facts of the matter. I'm sure either one will do the job they are designed for.