PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Giant Salvinia Round Up This Weekend‏ on Lake Raven

jsharp
06-01-2011, 07:08 AM
volunteers needed all forms and info attached

Bass anglers have been wondering "Why Raven"? It's a no-wake lake and not a tournament lake but it is full if giant salvinia and serving as an incubator for a population that is easily spread to nearby lakes such as Conroe, Houston, Livingston, Somerville, even Lake Woodlands. Boats visiting Raven are going to come in to contact with salvinia so if we put a major dent on the host population I'm confident that we can significantly reduce the likelihood of spreading.

Next week's round up is on schedule:
8 am to 3 pm at Lake Raven in Huntsville St. Park

We are aware that alligators are in this lake and while they're big they are not aggressive. The lake management will identify areas that kayakers may want to avoid but there's more than enough work to be done in areas the alligators aren't in.

Also, 8 to 3 is a long time but volunteers are asked to contribute however much time they have and aren't expected to say for the whole day (but are welcome to!)

We need boaters of all kinds - I really need at least 6 more motor boat owners if possible. Kayakers are able to get in to areas bass boats can't so we'll use kayaks to reach the shallow plants & litter and bass boats to ferry the collected plants back to the event headquarters. At the headquarters, the collected material will be spread out and the litter removed for disposal; plant matter will be loaded on a trailer for disposal in the park.

With the economy being slow to rebound there've been a lot more challenges getting sponsors this year too. If anyone wants to bring plastic laundry baskets (and their wife won't mind) that would just be fantastic.

I sincerely appreciate your support even if all you’re able to do is forward this email.

Thanks again
Leslie McGaha
TX BASS Federation Nation Invasive Species Coordinator

vett0111
06-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Have you been to one of these?

Scotta
06-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Thats awesome. Hope they dont mess it up. Not trying to start a huge debate but the vegetation is what makes that lake great. People should be checking their trailers thoroughly anyway. ITS THE LAW!