PDA

View Full Version : Galveston Jetty

Justin_Smithey
10-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Me and my girlfriend headed towards galveston saturday afternoon after i got off of work in search of some reds. I have a spot where I always go to cast net finger mullets but had zero luck this time. Instead on about the 4th cast i shreaded my net on a large rock submerged into the water. At this point all we had was large shad we had bought on our way in so I decided to just try and make the best of it so we fished with what we had. Just as I was about to give up and pack everything back in the car this guy saved the night. Biggest gaftop I have ever caught, possibly the largest saltwater fish I have ever personally caught. It put up a very nice fight. Here are a couple of pics of it.

BrotherDoug
10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
That's a nice gafftop. They can really pull...

Snapshot
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
nice write up and story Justin. It's always a **** shoot when you go fishing after work but it looks like it worked out real good for ya this time. Caught a big fish and spent some quality time with the girl of you choice; "It don't bet mugh better". Hope you took her out to eat afterwards to seal the trip off....

:question: Why do they have such big doral fins and the lake cats dont? I really don't know and after seeing this fish, it came to mind.

Justin_Smithey
10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
That is a good question SS. I do know you do not want to be stuck by them though, the bacteria causes for one heck of a pain

vett0111
10-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Nice Gaftop. Bet it put up a fight. Mullet are very tuff to fing this time of year. First couple cool fronts will send them into ninja mode.

Justin_Smithey
10-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks guys! did put up a good fight. Ive always been told you dont really want to eat these is this true?

BrotherDoug
10-19-2011, 08:18 AM
They eat OK, the only problem is there isn't a lot of meat on one, because the head is so big....

John3:16
10-19-2011, 08:48 AM
They are good to eat though. We used to catch them on the 91 st pier a lot and boy they will slime the deck in a hurry. When they are running one of us would usually bring a bucket and some Clorox to swab of the pier, if not you could bust your kiester casting the 10 foot surf rods.

gator
10-19-2011, 05:24 PM
clean and eat them there good eating. most people don't like them cause there slimy but there good eating. they put up almost as good a fight as a red. that is one nice looking galftop there justin

Justin_Smithey
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
That is good stuff to know! I ended up giving it to another man i met on the jetty. Next time i may try to clean one and stick it in the grease. Sounds like that would have been pretty fun John.! Thanks gator!

katjim00
10-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Nice fish JS

SKsCrappie
10-19-2011, 06:16 PM
those "snot sharks" are agressive eaters & will hit top water lures like a big red fish, i've been fooled a few times by them. thats a good size one & like others have said will fight as good as a big red. WTG JS!

Drop_Shot_
10-19-2011, 09:07 PM
WTG Justin....Nice Gaftop. I ate one for the first time a couple of months ago. I thought it was great. I would keep all the ones I catch.....but they are very slimy!!! I missed a couple of bites the last time fishing and knew it was gaftop because of the slime all over my line and hook. Really wierd....I wonder if there are other fish that have that much slime??? :)

vett0111
10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys! did put up a good fight. Ive always been told you dont really want to eat these is this true?

I know a lot of guys that keep and eat them. They rather catch cooler full of them than a bull red... Crazy I tell you. LOL

I don't like messing with them cause they are so slimy. Fight good though.