PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting "Old Stuff"

tylerdan
08-25-2005, 03:18 PM
I have been in Arkansas hleping my mother for a few days. I brought back some of my long deceased uncle's fishing gear. He died about 15 years ago. My aunt recently passed away and I was given Uncle Doyle's old hunting and fishing stuff. The first picture is several rods in rod tubes, most never used. The one in the shipping box and the one next to it are Browning Silaflex fibergalss spinning rods. The next two are casting versions. Us old guys will remember that Browning Silaflex rods were the best you could buy in the 50's and early 60's. The metal tube is a well-used but still-in-great- shape Shakespere President fly rod. I already had the President reel that goes with it. The second picture is a Japanese bamboo fly rod kit. Unfortunately, the bottom half of the rod is missing.

The third and forth pictures are Garcia Mitchell 300 Spinning reels and Garcia 5000C casting reels. Some are in the original unopened boxes. These were from the days when the 5000's came in a leather case.

tylerdan
08-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Sone other interesting stuff inculded three Johnson Century Spincast rigs from the late 50's or early 60's, all in great working condition. We used to crappie fish with them in Lake Darbonne, Farmerville, Louisiana. There are also a couple used Mitchell 300 rigs, some Royal Bonyl monofilament in unopened packages, and an unused Lowarance water temperature guage, still its original box. There was also an unassembled plastic model car, a metal Coleman ice chest and a stuffed bass. Some neat old stuff to keep along with the good memories of Uncle Doyle.

rivercat
08-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Reminds me of fishing with my grandpa when I was 5 and 6 years old, he had alot of that same gear.

Thank you for the pics!

Larry G
08-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Now you have to figure out who is going to get the stuff from you so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Your uncle was definitely an avid fisherman. I know that you will treasure your inheritance.

saundecw
08-25-2005, 05:55 PM
You have some display case material there Dan.

rivercat
08-25-2005, 06:36 PM
A few years ago my grandfather-in-law gave me this reel, he does not fish and had no use for it. It belonged to his brother, and when the brother passed away they gave it to him.

I don't fish with it, but I have cast it in the yard a few times, still as smooth a cast as you will ever feel.

Gentleben
08-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Lots of memorable relics!!

trombone13
08-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Tylerdan, thanks for sharing the superb picyures with us! It's great that the family wanted you to have this collection of equipment
Bob

dwaynez
08-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Dan

Nice collection of memories you have there, always something to keep close to your heart and remember the good times.

algonzo
08-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I think that type of inheritance is much more valuable than a lump of cash as most would prefer. You should have a blast restoring that equipment back to its beautiful orginal state....

bluesmavin
08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
reminds me of the time I found a large pile of fishing gear a scorned wife had thrown out.