PDA

View Full Version : Retired today after 23 years.

Uncle Doug
05-31-2012, 02:59 PM
I went out to work today and cleaned out my locker, turned in my keys and ID badge. I will miss many of the great people I worked with over the past 23 years. A few I will not miss. I will not miss working for a huge corporate America company. Not the best job I ever had but it was the best paying job I ever had. I have had a blessed life with only being out of work 2 weeks out of the last 37 years since I got out of high school. The first week did not count as I was not even looking.

Now the important stuff, what to do tomorrow. Mow the grass or go fishing.

Drop_Shot_
05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
GO FISHING!!! :)

And by the way.....CONGRATS!!!

SKsCrappie
05-31-2012, 04:27 PM
UD you've got plenty of time to cut tha grass go fishing & let us that are not as lucky as you know how good it is to go fishing whenever you want & don't have to worry about going to work!
Congrats!

TexasT
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Congrats Uncle Doug.....I don't know you, but I'm very happy for you. I have a friend who retired last Sept. after 35 years on the job. Now he stays around the house with his wife and says he has never worked so hard in his entire life. The moral of this story is to not stay around the house too much! The wife will put you to WORK!
Have a great retirement and May God Bless you and your family.

KingTut
05-31-2012, 11:12 PM
:winner: Congratulations! Now go fishing, mow the grass until it looks like a park, fix all those things around the house you never had time to do before and enjoy life! Remember what Marvin Zindler used to always say, "good golf, good tennis or whatever makes you happy!"
Just don't stop-that's when it'll bite you in the back-side!

I had a neighbor that lived across the street from me. His name was Smity. Well that wasn't his name for real but that's what we all called him. He retired after way too many years with the Rail Road. Smithy could catch crappie better than any man I know. We talked all the time, well he talked anyway-I listened cause I always believed an old timer can teach ya a bunch about a bunch. One day as Smity and I were both cutting our grass and in general beautifyin' the neighborhood, he stopped abruptly and headed for the garage to load-up. He pulled-up in front of my house and said "hey Mark, it's time!" Amazed at how unique it was to stop in the middle of a perfect grass cuttin' job, I asked him where in the world he was headed. He said the condiditons were suddenly perfect and the crappie should begin feeding in just a few minutes-let's go! Rattling off a dozen reasons why I couldn't go due to time, family and work the old timer looked at me and said "see Mark that's why I catch all the crappie, as a retired man I go fishing when you should, not when you can."

Smity was retired for a good twenty some-odd years before he left our beautiful street to go be with the Lord.
Enjoy your retirement Uncle Doug-you earned it! :cheers:

vett0111
06-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Congrats UD

Very cool story KT... Thanks for sharing

Snapshot
06-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Congrats Uncle Doug, now you will have tought decisions to make when you get up each morning. Sometimes the honey doo list gets longer as the wife thinks you have more time. Mine did. Hope you get the most out of it as I have and do the things you and the wife enjoy. Sorta the good life for now, you, the wife and no kids at home is sorta the way we planned it when we first married. Only problem is that the memory sometimes slips, a good example of that is: somedays you will chase the wife around the house, shes enjoying the attention and giggles to make it more pleasant and by the time you catch her, " you will forget why you were chasing her to start with". Getting old sure is fun but just cannot remember why. Congrats again: Maybe we should create an old timers/ retirees club on the site.

kayakguy
06-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Congratulations. Life is short so make the most of it!

slabsticker
06-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Congratulations on the retirement!! GO FISHING!!!! You've earned it

BrotherDoug
06-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Congratulations from Brother Doug, Uncle Doug. Retirement can get so busy, you'll wonder how you ever had enough time to go to work...

Bgbluecat
06-01-2012, 08:05 PM
When you find youself with a lot of things you need to do, do the important stuff first - go fishing.....

Uncle Doug
06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I have had a lot of practice over the last year having actually worked 7 months out of the past 2 years. Health is getting better so it was time to leave while the getting was good. Did not make it fishing today. Did get the truck inspected and the oil changed. Woke up way too early. We actually just got back from our quarterly trip to the rock quarry in Mexia where the wife and grandkids caught about 35 keeper bass. My wife got the biggest and her personal best.

vett0111
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Nice bass

kingwoodcatfisherman
06-01-2012, 10:57 PM
My advice ... Pay someone to mow your grass and clean your house and. "go fishing" !! Life is short ....enjoy !!!

luckydog
06-02-2012, 05:07 AM
I just want to let you know how nice it is to BBQ on a weekday. I used to spend half a weekend behind the pit cooking my favorites. Now its a weekday thing. Lots more time to hit the garden before the heat of the day too. What ever you do enjoy yourself and have fun. Give the thanks to Our Father for all his blessings.