PDA

View Full Version : New man toy...

eviesue'sdaddy
07-07-2012, 09:56 PM
As a pretty serious BBQer, I am always using my chain saw when hunting for firewood. I have had a small echo with a 16 inch bar for about 15 years now. I think I hit the 100,000 mile mark on it because it pretty much ran out of steam. The motor had lost a lot of torque and was just worn out. So, instead of buying another cheap saw, I decided to go all out and get the stihl farm boss (290). This thing is awesome!!!! I got the 20 inch bar because I was always coming up short with the echo. For those that dont know the difference, your typical poulons, craftsman, and homelites run about 1-2.5 hp. This one has a 3.8 hp monster!! I was narrowed down between the husqvarna rancher 440 and this one. The reviews for the husqvarna were pretty bad and all related to the oiling. Apparently, there is a design flaw that allows the oil reservoir to become clogged. I was bummed to hear that as I have always been a fan. So, I went with the stihl. I used it today for the first time. It was like cutting butter with a hot knife! I wanted something that wouldn't get tired before I did. This one will keep going long after I have weenied out! Great tool.

Gentleben
07-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Cops alway have the nicest toys , especially when it comes to weapons . I own the Stihl 009L, I know it's baby compared to yours but it cuts like a beaver and for my purpose it does very well.Think my son has one of the big daddys
You are absolutely correct about the oilers; without oil the the chain dies a horrible death.

vett0111
07-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I love my Stihl... Best Chainsaw to own. Have had it for 6 years and it runs like a champ.

A buddy of mine ( Landscaper ) used it and was so impressed he got rid of his other brand chainsaws and upgraded to Stihl..

Buy extra chains so you always have one as back up.

jeremy86360
07-09-2012, 12:18 PM
You wont be dissapointed in a Stihl...they are tough.

3.8hp? Dang you could power a go kart with that thing!