PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck comes in threes!

Dutch
09-23-2012, 11:41 AM
I went out fishing for bream and tilapia Friday morning early. Launched the boat at Ponderosa, tied to the dock, and pulled the trailer out. Back in the boat, I lowered the trolling motor because I was just going to go under the bridge and fish lily pads. The trolling motor was completely dead. I checked the circuit breaker and it was fine. Must be a wiring issue under the front deck. I went back to the dock with the big motor, tied up and got out to get the trailer so I could load up and work on it on dry ground. Started loading the boat, and..... yup, the trolling motor was still down. Broke the bracket that holds the transducer to the trolling motor.

Got the boat out and parked in the shade by the building. Pulled some screws holding the small transition piece on the front deck. One of the main power wires had slipped out of the connection to the power plug for the motor. Fixed that. I carry a spare transducer mount for just such occasions, so I went to change that out. Oops, takes an Allen wrench that I didn't have with me. I zip-tied the transducer to the shaft above the trolling motor housing and re-launched. Got a few brim only.

So, I figured I'd go out Saturday night to do some jugging. I was cruising up spur 330 north of Baytown at 65 mph when I had a blowout on the right front truck tire. I have road service, so I called and was back on the road in an hour. Got to the lake and out to my fishing area near the power lines before dark. No hits by 8:30, so I moved all of them to shallow water near the 1960 bridge. Left at 10:00 with one 16 inch blue.

Tomorrow will be a better day, because that should be a no-brainer over the last 36 hours. Today I will fix the transducer mount, get the tire changed out, and set up my crappie rods for a nice early morning trip sometime this week. At my age, you can't let little things like these keep you from going fishing. I may have only a couple of thousand chances left to go!

TexasT
09-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Man Dutch, that is tough stuff there. I know that tire looked to be in very good condition....until it blew out. Like you said it comes in threes! At least you didn't wreck or injure yourself when it happened. Good luck on finding the crappie when you go out next time. Me and doublek may give it a go pretty soon.
God Bless

BassingtxLady
09-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Dad Gum Dutch. That sounds like a "Lou and Me" trip.

Snapshot
09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Ihad my run of three last summer and hate to hear that it happens to others too. I carry zip ties, wd40 and duct tape now and that pretty well takes care of the repair kit. Oh yeah, I do carry a pair of pliars, screwdriver and a can of fix a flat. Good luck with the crappie.

vett0111
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
you can't let little things like these keep you from going fishing. I may have only a couple of thousand chances left to go!

Awesome way to put it. Thanks

Good luck on your fishing trips this week

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
09-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Ihad my run of three last summer and hate to hear that it happens to others too. I carry zip ties, wd40 and duct tape now and that pretty well takes care of the repair kit. Oh yeah, I do carry a pair of pliars, screwdriver and a can of fix a flat. Good luck with the crappie.

On the tire repair, I'm unsure of just how many cans of fix a flat and rolls of duct tape it would take but I guess it could be accomplished.

BassingtxLady
09-24-2012, 07:11 AM
should've given me a call...i would've brought you a cuppa coffee....the 330 runs right by me....glad you didn't let any of that get in your way to fishing....:winner:

Dutch
09-24-2012, 07:47 AM
LOL, Jackie, maybe I should start carrying an emergency kit like Snapshot has..... but bigger.

Lou The Fisherman
09-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Deadgummit Dutch - guess when it rains it pours. Good to hear that you kept at it and didn't fold your tent and go home.
When a man wants to fish he wants to fish.

jeremy86360
09-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Normally when all the bad stuff happens we catch a big fish to make you forget about it. He's still in the water I reckon...go get him...you are due!