PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing the Salt

FishinAddict22
04-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Hit up Bassproshops for a new fly rod for bass fishing and was wondering if it would hold its own in the salt. I have a nice canal behind my apartments full of bass and I live 10 minutes away from Kemah. I've got the bass dialed in pretty well so I was wondering if my rig would hold a larger fish.

I bought the White River Intruder combo from bass pro. It isn't online, in stores only. The reel is online but the rod isn't. It's a 9ft 8 weight 4 piece rod. I know the salt will rust the reel if I don't keep it clean. Will the rod just snap or do ya'll think it would hold on to a decent sand trout or if I'm lucky enough a red or speck?

I havn't thought of what fly to throw or what tippet to use or any of that either.

Any advice would be accepted also, thanks everyone.

Dutch
04-20-2013, 10:04 PM
An 8 weight should hold a decent size redfish if you have enough backing and a good drag on the fly reel. Use streamers for reds and specks, and be sure to wash off the rod also or the guides will rust too. Be sure to wash out the reel with the line on to get rid of the salt there too.

SKsCrappie
04-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Even if it don't hold up it'll be fun destroying it:114: