PDA

View Full Version : Trinity Bay 04-29-13

TexasT
04-30-2013, 11:36 AM
A buddy and I put in at Thompsons Bait Camp in Baytown about 7am to try to do a little fishing and catching hopefully. We made a couple of stops on some reefs, but had no takers. A fog bank moved in on us around 8:00 and we couldn't see a thing past 50 yards. That's when the GPS comes in handy as we ran about 20mph heading to the HLP Spillway. We couldn't see the spillway even though the GPS was showing that we were right on it. Suddenly we were bumping bottom as I could not see the spillway in order to take the correct route in. We got back to deeper water and waited until we could see the spillway then made the correct approach in to avoid the shallow water. We tied up to the bulkhead and began fishing and listening to Michael Berry on the radio I recently had installed. It was very relaxing sitting there talking and fishing. There was only 1 other boat there and he had come in before the fog.
Anyway. there was only one fish caught the entire day, but it was a very nice trout. It was just over 23" and weighed just over 4lbs according to the boga grip. My boga grip is the rip off version so I don't know how accurate it is. This is my personal best Trout thus far.:D It was a very enjoyable day with light wind and calm waters until we were heading back in. The water change to about a 1 foot chop even though the wind was still about 5-10mph. Loaded up and headed home to clean up the boat.

SKsCrappie
04-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Heehaw, glad to hear you got out.
Tell ya what when fog & hl&p in trinity bay are in the same sentence the 1st thing that pops up in.net mind is ya betta watch fer that long concrete wall out in front of it!!!
I've seen a guy play jump the wall with it in heavy fog & it wasn't pretty!!!

TexasT
04-30-2013, 12:09 PM

I couldn't figure out how to add the photo to the original post, but here it is.

TexasT
04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Heehaw, glad to hear you got out.
Tell ya what when fog & hl&p in trinity bay are in the same sentence the 1st thing that pops up in.net mind is ya betta watch fer that long concrete wall out in front of it!!!
I've seen a guy play jump the wall with it in heavy fog & it wasn't pretty!!!

You ain't lieing about that! I was heading straight in and I could see the wall when it came into view on the port side, but I didn't know if it was the left one or the right one.We only had to wait about 5-10 minutes until we could see our way in. I had been there once before with Donny Woods.

Justin_Smithey
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Nice speck you got there! What was the bait of choice?

TexasT
04-30-2013, 12:24 PM
I was using a popping cork and live shrimp.

SKsCrappie
04-30-2013, 06:25 PM
I've caught several fillets out of that place trout, reds, flounder, puppy drum, sheep head, black tip & just about any other fish you can think of seem to spend time there.
You brought back a lot of memories!
I use to put in at the Goo hole & run the bayou all the way to the bay dark thirty with a spot light would surprise you with the amount of gators back there. Was always a fun run!

RodBender54
04-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Really nice speck TT. WTG! I miss going down there.......a lot......

Snapshot
04-30-2013, 09:38 PM
NIce speck for sure but the run back must have taken forever as it is a long ways from Thompsons. Especially when the wind and waves pick up. Bet you are glad you have that gps on board when the fog set in. I've been out in the Pacific when fog would roll in and you have no idea which way you were going. GPS saves lives and equipment for sure.