PDA

View Full Version : Jetties

Driftwood1
07-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Got out to the north jetty today and I caught only one small flounder,but got a lesson from the other half. She caught 2 nice flounder.
Slow day all in all but had a blast.Oh yeh on the way back to Dickinson bayou(boat ramp) my wife was slapping me and pointing to our left I looked over and seen the GW with the lights on. I stopped and he wanted to see 2 life jackets,
OK no problem they were clipped to the bow,then he ask if we had any fish, I said yes 2 flounder so we showed him the fish and he siad OK have a good day, I said you want to see our licenes and he said no. Go figure :scratchhead:

dan_wrider
07-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Sounds like a warden with enough gumption to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Way to go for the misses on the flattys.

packypaddler
07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
3 in the boat is better than nothing. I'm heading to the jetties in the morning. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post.
Driftwood do you put in at Topwaters? If so how long does it take you to get the jetties fom Dickinson?

Dutch
07-13-2013, 08:43 PM
A friend and I fished about a 100 days a year for 10 years at the jetties back in the 80's and early 90's. Sure wish I had the electronics back then that I have now. I had a paper chart recorder, Lawrence I think. Anyway, the following picture is from Google Earth and is of the end of the north jetty. If you look closely just above the white and then black lines, you can see it. The jetty makes a bend as you can see, but the deep channel does not make that bend for quite a ways out. If you anchor on top of the shelf on an incoming tide, and drop your bait just over the edge of the drop off, you can do some good on the drum, redfish, etc that are hanging out there (usually) waiting for the incoming food to literally drop into their mouths. Fish where the red circle is. At least it was that way 30 years ago. Haven't been back out there since. Fish the jetties in the winter. Fewer boats, and legal redfish hang out near the end of both jetties, but especially the south jetty, right at the base of the rocks. They aren't ready to go offshore yet, but they will the following year. Also large sheepshead gang up on the rocks out there. My friend got a 12 pounder out of there one winter, one pound shy of the state record. Sheepshead eat barnacles off the rocks. That is why their teeth look the way they do. Fillet off the meat above the ribs (hard to do) and boil them in crab boil. When done, flake the hot cooked fillets with a fork and cover and stick in refrigerator. When cooled off, mix with red seafood sauce and you won't believe you aren't eating crab dip. I think the flavor is because of what they eat. Good luck35199

vett0111
07-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Flounder for dinner awesome.

Thanks for report

Great info Dutch thanks.

Gentleben
07-14-2013, 06:52 AM
GW' have sirens on their boats I usually wait til the kick it on before i shut it down.....back in my drinking days LAke Patrol was in hot pursuit of my 14 ft jon boa tpowered by twin 15 hp evinrudes and i did not see them but i sure enough heard them , it is loud over the water

SKsCrappie
07-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Them flatties are some good grub!!!!
WTG DW!

Driftwood1
07-15-2013, 01:07 PM
PackyPaddler it took us about 40-45 minutes to get there from 146/Dickinson bayou but it was a little bumpy Sat morning.If flat about 30 minutes.
Dutch, thanks for the info I will try that.
And yall are right,them flat fish were wonderful.the wife did a beer batter and all I can say is YUM YUM !!!!
Funny note : I was wade fishing at the jetties (1 1/2 foot deep) and someone on the jetties caught a 2 foot shark. Guess I should ware shoes & long pants next time LOL