PDA

View Full Version : Where were you

dan_wrider
09-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Saw a thread elsewhere that got me thinking about 9/11/01.
I remember I was working at a window tint shop in Tyler Tx at the time. The front of the store sold cell phones and coverage plans. When the first plane hit we gathered around the tv up front and watched as the second one crashed. Customers who were shopping joined us in watching the news and seemed to forget all about their window tints and cell phones. Pretty weird day that day. Not a lot of tint installed and not a lot of cell phones sold.
Anyone else remember where you were?

Gentleben
09-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I remember but can't really say.

Dutch
09-11-2014, 11:58 AM
I'll never forget. I was in a business meeting at work. The receptionist came in and said a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center tower. We stopped the meeting and rolled a large TV into the conference room and started watching. Then the second plane hit and we stayed there the rest of the day. Chilling.

danieltx11
09-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Art class 6th grade

matt thorpe
09-11-2014, 09:59 PM
On an oil rig. Actually was delayed because air traffic was shut down in the gulf.

vett0111
09-12-2014, 12:38 AM
At work and didn't want to believe what everyone was saying. I tunneled everything out and pushed to get everything at work done. Most thought I was heartless and didn't care. I just focused at getting job done so everyone could go home and be with their family. So many lost their family members that day. I knew I wouldn't be high on the most liked list that day. I just figured if we got done early I let everyone go be with their family. We did finish early and folks got home early. I was still the evil boss for weeks cause I pushed everyone to finish working. No one thanked me for getting to home early that day though.

I went home that day and didn't watch TV. I would not watch anything about it. I didn't want to believe it happen. I didn't watch video of it until one year later. Seeing the video of planes hitting building is tough to watch. I have not seen video since. Knowing that event affected and hurt so many I can't and don't watch it.

k9subsea75
09-12-2014, 07:46 AM
On an oil rig. Actually was delayed because air traffic was shut down in the gulf.

I was on a rig as well, in the Gulf of Mexico, Sept 12 was my crew change day so getting off the rig was a bit crazy because air traffic wasn't open yet. I was changing pump liners on a mud pump when we were told what had happened.

KingTut
09-14-2014, 04:07 PM
I was at work as well. Emergency Protocol was activated. I remember wanting to be with my Wife and kids as I dispatched all my crews to restore their circuits back to normal and stand down. We were receiving orders rapid fire from way up the chain and everyone was jumping. All the TV sets in the room were a buzz and the lump in my throat was almost choking me. I was overwhelmed with the thought that my country was under attack and the instant rage I felt-the thirst for revenge. The horror of watching and knowing Americans were dying right before my eyes and the hopelessness of it all. And all the while, the total fear of where will they hit next. How many of them are there. Are my loved one's safe.......

I got home late that night, hugged my Wife and kids and wept like I was still a school boy.
Just typing these words brings it all back like and Marcus, I still can't watch it on TV!

Lou The Fisherman
09-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I was also in the office and when we heard the news we immediately turned on a TV we had in the office conference room and we all stood there watching it.
It was very hard to imagine the USA being under attack and the first thing i wanted to do was go home and get my "heat" ready. Lock and load.

It was a very trying day to say the least and it still is to this day.

muleherder
09-18-2014, 08:59 PM
I was on Hardy toll road and turned onto the Beltway mumbling and muttering about Houston drivers when the news came on the radio. Like all, what is happening? Why? Is a Houston target next? Are we fixing to see infidels coming across our borders? Why? Why? It was 13 years since the last World Trade Center attempt. And I might add, 8 years until the next attempt. I couldn't help but think, will we forget about this 2 months later? I know THEY won't forget. We're worrying about spanking kids with a switch or some Hollywood celeb or the injustice of a name like Redskins. It's still scary to remember and think about.

matt thorpe
09-18-2014, 09:25 PM
I gotta agree with you muleherder, scary it was. With me being in the gulf and no cell service, I had to wait to call home. I was only 18 at the time but being 150 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico and not knowing what was happening inland was scary.

muleherder
09-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Matt, I'll bet that was scary ... spotty news reports .... stuck on iron island ... you can't call a taxi or walk home ... not so much as a pocket knife to defend yourself .... and not knowing what was happening to your loved ones on the bank.