PDA

View Full Version : Texas City Dike

KenK1944
03-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Whenever the water warms just a little bit more and the wind calms down, I'd like to take my yak to the deep side of Mosquito Island. Any advice?

dan_wrider
03-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Have not fished out there, Ken. I'm curious how you do though. Please let us know..

KenK1944
03-18-2017, 05:01 PM
A guy told me today that he's caught good trout in May, June and July at the north end of Mosquito Island.
Hope I can get down there soon so I can report.

vett0111
03-21-2017, 03:09 AM
Good luck out there. Never been there myself. Keep us posted.

Dutch
03-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Be very careful out there. A ship channel runs along the west side of the dike, and when the big ships come in or out along the dike, they push a bow wake that is about 6 feet high.

KenK1944
03-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Yeah, Dutch, I've heard about what the channel can do to the water in there. After the water is pushed in there, it's sucked back out. That's when a lot of the drownings have happened. I can't help but think about me and the yak "heading out to sea". lol

KenK1944
07-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Finally made it out to the dike last week. Met up with another kayaker who is 100% disabled due to Nam. I wasn't very impressed with it. Due to the ship traffic, a few miles away, the currents were steady changing. Nailed a small trout and a rat red - plus a little eel. For some reason, my depth finder wouldn't work and I couldn't find the deep hole on the west side of the reef that everyone warns waders about. Depth finder worked fine in the back yard after I got home. Go figure.

vett0111
07-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Finally made it out to the dike last week. Met up with another kayaker who is 100% disabled due to Nam. I wasn't very impressed with it. Due to the ship traffic, a few miles away, the currents were steady changing. Nailed a small trout and a rat red - plus a little eel. For some reason, my depth finder wouldn't work and I couldn't find the deep hole on the west side of the reef that everyone warns waders about. Depth finder worked fine in the back yard after I got home. Go figure.
Thanks for the info.

SKsCrappie
07-14-2017, 10:55 AM
years back I use to frequent those waters.... mosquito island & dollar reef have feed me a time were two... excellent trout, red feesh, sheepies & puppy drum....live shrimp under a popping cork works great in that area.... like Dutch said be careful of the ship wakes.....