PDA

View Full Version : Kind of snake

Gentleben
10-04-2017, 10:02 AM
what kind of snake this is ??40878:scratchhead:

mikechell
10-04-2017, 10:58 AM
It's not a good picture. On first observation, it looks like a dead snake.
Based on color, sheen and shape of the head, I'd say it's a Black Racer (Coluber constrictor).

Gentleben
10-04-2017, 06:04 PM
sounds deadly glad i killed it could not find my big girl shorts so iscream and killed it actually there was nothe r one later ob the morning
It's not a good picture. On first observation, it looks like a dead snake.
Based on color, sheen and shape of the head, I'd say it's a Black Racer (Coluber constrictor).

AthensMike
10-04-2017, 06:24 PM
We had a long black, striped snake that hung around the water spicket by the entry to the crawl space. I think it was a big garter snake but my buddy called it a racer. Bright, thin colored stripes down the length of its body. Fastest snake I've ever seen in my life.
Snake in the photo looks like it's shedding. Or was.

mikechell
10-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Bright stripes ... your description does sound like a Garter Snake. Racers are usually solid color, black or gray/blue.

And Racers are harmless, non-poisonous and beneficial snakes.

vett0111
10-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Looks like a blotched water snake to me.

https://goo.gl/images/S74HmG

mikechell
10-05-2017, 06:20 AM
Could be ... I can't see enough detail to make a good identification.

The only thing that pointed me towards a racer is the shine. Racers are glossy, almost all water snakes are matte, rougher look to the scales.

Looking at the picture again, I could be wrong on the gloss.

Either way, it's a shame it's dead. ALL snakes are vermin/bad insect eaters. I understand getting poisonous snakes out of populated areas, even killing them when necessary. But killing non-poisonous snakes is ... ignorant. Don't get upset, "ignorant" is not an insult like "stupid". It just means you're uninformed. It's as bad as someone who doesn't like birds killing a few Bald Eagles because they're birds.

AthensMike
10-05-2017, 03:27 PM
i typed the word stupid in a post and it automatically put the smiley face with the sign in place. Didn't know until i hit the post button. If i offended anyone, it was not my intention.

AthensMike
10-05-2017, 03:28 PM
it did it again.

mikechell
10-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Yeah, Mike. I don't like the "auto" emoji function, either. But people usually get the idea.