PDA

View Full Version : Update on my grafted persimmon trees...

jeremy86360
09-04-2021, 08:22 PM
Well, looks like I'm gonna have a good crop of persimmons. These are the asian variety grafted on wild ones out in the pasture.

How many can you count in the pics?

Gentleben
09-06-2021, 04:37 AM
i will guess about 10 0r so cant really count that high.....

Gentleben
09-06-2021, 04:39 AM
sPeaking oif taht can you graft like a small turks cap to a large turks caps bush?? just courious ..

jeremy86360
09-06-2021, 03:21 PM
Most likely yes Ben.

Theres a few things like a table grape to mustang grape that doesnt work. But in general should be able to. I would probably do a bud graft. Clip a couple limbs in january. Wrap in damp paper towel and out in ziplock in fridge. When the plant outside starts to flush buds...graft a bud from the fridge onto it.

Turks campus edible I think. You ever do anything with them?

Gentleben
09-07-2021, 05:33 AM
Most likely yes Ben.

Theres a few things like a table grape to mustang grape that doesnt work. .But in general should be able to. I would probably do a bud graft. Clip a couple limbs in january. Wrap in damp paper towel and out in ziplock in fridge. When the plant outside starts to flush buds...graft a bud from the fridge onto it.

Turks campus edible I think. You ever do anything with them?

Yes, on the edible part ; when i was a kid many, many, many years ago they used to be a source of candy for us we used to fight the humming birds for the nectar. now i jsu t feed to teh humming birds when i moved then i could not find them , while back i found one and trans planted from my dads ole farm it has not done well probably becasue of where i planted it when is the best time to relocate it. also since it is the larger of the two turks i would be interested in grafting some of the small turks to large turks plant . there are plenty of teh small ones the ygrow like weeds and spread jsut as fast .. tHe hummingbirds love them so i try to replan tand keep blooming .. i gave my neighnbor a po t iahd from old house i had tried to give it away numberous time to ungrateful folks i know bu they diid not realiy want them i gave them to neighbor friend across the street and they are really doing well!!
So how many persimmons ??

jeremy86360
09-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Prob 20 to 30 on each tree.

What did they taste like Ben. Think I ate one in the wild and it was kind of bland and almost apple texture. But may not have been ripe.

Gentleben
09-10-2021, 05:32 AM
no you do not eat them just suck the nectar and go to the next real sweet been a while .....

jeremy86360
09-10-2021, 08:25 PM
Ah, so like honeysuckle then. Got ya.

Gentleben
09-13-2021, 05:33 AM
I have one small turks cap bloomimg like the dickens right now ,,, the birds are really enjoying them ,