PDA

View Full Version : wake

gator
02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
afte reading about the yah-hoo up on lake houston running i have a question the river in front of bj's is where i am talking about. a few years ago i was running up river up and on plane got some dirty looks so when we came back i shut down to idle. up the river i go slow pass boats but that area is not wide enought or safe for running i thought. but the point is my boat sets down it pushes a big wake there is alot more rocking in rolling verses up on plane. not sure what to do?

Gentleben
02-12-2007, 02:50 PM
It's not the boat !!:icon_mrgreen: what causes the wake is the sudden stop and all the weight of the boat sinking ..
My boat will leave a very small wake when I troll past some ole folks fishing while , I can shut it down right in front of them and cause a 5' tidal wave..
Ther are pros and cons , while most boats travelin on plane are hardly in the water then they leave a very small wake if you shut that boat down in front of the folks fishin it will create a very large wake..
It should be common courtesy to not endanger the lifes of the folks what are stopped and have 10 poles stcking out of the boat.
I believe there is some sor tof liability if your wake injures or causes some one to fal l out of thier boat..:hammer:

whitebassfisher
02-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Gator I have felt the same way. If I am fishing in an area that is not a no wake zone, and the area can support high speed safely as to visibility, I don't mind someone flying past me.

Out in the wide open lake I tend to fly on by others at a safe distance. In creeks, due to bends hurting visibility and me worrying about stumps, I tend to cut back before I get to them and idle past. Idling past also gives a good excuse to exchange lies.

As all boaters know, you leave the least wake at either an idle or full speed. Even a small boat can leave a huge wake at just under the speed to get on plane.