Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salt water fish

Senior Member Master in FishingTX gator's Avatar

salt water fish

okay i have fished salt some and can identify 90% but a friend called yesterday and i was tell him about the baby croaker we caught for bait.he responded "yeah my father in law eats them things do you believe that" now i just figured josh knew but he didn't, there GREAT to eat. he thought they were a trash fish. this got me to thinking i wonder how many people would fish more or post more but affraid to ask what does a ------look like?
    so lets don't use pictures off net cause of all the pictures of whiting i have seen there darker multi colored looking i have seen so post a picture of some saltwater fish you have caught lets try to identify all commonly caught fish in our bay. i have never caught a spanish macral any one got a good picture.
    there was some confuession on hardheads and galftop so i will repost those pictures here. i hope this helps someone.

the one in the rag is a hardhead my opinion not worth eating becareful handling fins highly toxic bad infection small ones like this will get you went you toss them back easy expierance talking here.

the other on deck is a galftop fish very good eating notice long white tip fins. very very slimy channel & blues don't have anything on this fish
    Give me a sense of humor, Lord;
    Give me the grace to see a joke,
    To get some humor out of life,
    And pass it on to other folk.
    Amen!

medulla762
    Here are two you mentioned. These are from a jetty trip a couple years back.

Southern kingfish aka whiting and smacks(spanish mackeral). southern kingfish may be distinguised from gulf kingfish aka whiting by the wide angled stripes of the southern kingfish.

caution=small king mackerel are very hard to identify from smakcs

Senior Member Master in FishingTX gator's Avatar
    joe is that sting ray wings i have heared there good never ate any havent caught one big enough for the trouble
    Give me a sense of humor, Lord;
    Give me the grace to see a joke,
    To get some humor out of life,
    And pass it on to other folk.
    Amen!

medulla762
    yep, over 30 pounds.

I like 'em but I don't dare eat any without endocin and/or allipurinol handy...hahaha...they are extremely high in puric acid and will flare up some serious gout!

My favorite is make a soup with lemongrass and noodles...mmmm...mmmm

Melissaa52
    Quote Originally Posted by gator
    joe is that sting ray wings i have heared there good never ate any havent caught one big enough for the trouble
    It could be bloody stingray! lol

Ole Bill
    i think ya got a sheephead in that pic to medulla at least it looks like it

medulla762
    indeed

Obsessed Jugging Addict Master in FishingTX kingwoodcatfisherman's Avatar
    Thanks for the post and pics Gator. Medulla had informed me last week that I had caught hardheads at Kemah. At the time, I was not familiar with a catfish species known as a hardhead. I can see the difference between these two. So the hardhead's meat doen't taste good like a channel cat.
    A bad day fishing is better than a great day working ! :fart:

Live your life to the fullest !! That way when you die, the preacher doesn't have to lie.

RAYSOR
    no, KWCF but a lot of folks like the Gafftop which looks like the hardhead

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    Gaftop is dang good grub. KWCF,, I've never tried HH,, But it diet is pretty close to that off the Gaftop, I know those cajuns eat them. They also eat Mullet in a lot of the eastern states.

Joe, you mean to tell me you get gout? rotfl! aint it grand bro,,,,
    The fish are in the water!