Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Day in Baytown

JPHamilton

Smile Quiet Day in Baytown

I was bored and just wanted to go outside so I checked the tide reports. It was coming in, why not go fishing for a bit. Got my supplies and headed outside to feel a breeze coming my way. Good signs. It's the side I'd be fishing on.
    It's a short drive from where I live to Roseland Park, I didn't even bother to get live/dead bait. I just wanted to practice my cast and play with my lures.

After a few casts I noticed an older gentleman down a little way and we started talking while fishing, we moved a few time within the park just to see if we are missing a few hiding. He caught a blue crab. After a few hours of just shooting the breeze and swapping stories, we decided to call it. No fish, few nibbles, but a great time with a new friend. Cheers to you Eddie.

As we were putting up, we started talking about stopping by Hartz's Chicken for some chicken. I was sold. I beat him up there to the drive through and saw his truck pull in after me. Bought the man's lunch. Hanging out with him was more valuable than the 4 bucks I spend for him any day.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    Good move. Conversations with other fishermen is the way to find out a lot about an area and how to catch fish there.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Snapshot's Avatar
    Sometimes when we go out fishing we catch fish and somethimes we don't. Today your catch was more than one could hope for as you have hooked up with a friend for the long haul. Now that is something to be proud of. Nicely done and with some class.
    ***** FISH ONLY BITE WET HOOKS *****

Uncle Doug
    25 years ago I lived very close to Roseland Park. Boated Ceder Bayou quite a bit but never caught many fish. Mostly used it to launch and head out to the edges of the bay.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Great story.. Very cool.. My signature is what comes to mind when I read your story. Thanks for sharing
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Senior Member Master in FishingTX KingTut's Avatar
    Cool.........
    "Old Guys Rule"

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Snapshot's Avatar
    As a teenager, we would go to Roseland park swimming pool for an afternoon. Also my brother and friends would launch at Roseland park and skii.

One day in the old Baytown Sun, there was a story about a guy that was water skiiing in Cedar Bayou and fell. Unfortunately he fell near shore and into a nest o water mocossins ( I mean those shakes ) and was bitten over 30 times and died. Yep, I to have good memories of Roseland park and Cedar Bayou.
    ***** FISH ONLY BITE WET HOOKS *****

Member Hooked on FishingTX D-Ring gone Native's Avatar
    Nice story JP, good Karma, hope someone does the same for you one day

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    well i go to Roseland park alot to sit and watch the water...i have never fished there due to all the years i have been going i had never seen anything pulled up besides a crab...lol....but i do love to go and look at it's beauty....thanks for the story....i think that's awesome to have made a new friend...Snappy....have you ever heard of "somethings are better left unsaid"?....

Uncle Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    As a teenager, we would go to Roseland park swimming pool for an afternoon. Also my brother and friends would launch at Roseland park and skii.

One day in the old Baytown Sun, there was a story about a guy that was water skiiing in Cedar Bayou and fell. Unfortunately he fell near shore and into a nest o water mocossins ( I mean those shakes ) and was bitten over 30 times and died. Yep, I to have good memories of Roseland park and Cedar Bayou.

Back in those old days I had a Ski-barge boat. Living so close to Roseland I would let my brother and his friends use the boat to ski. Many of times they would turn out into one of those mud flats and come off a plane to find themselves sitting in less than a foot of water. They would have to jump out into the mud to float the boat out.

The boat was sold soon after my brother and his friends showing off to girls on the bank at Roseland park skied one of the friends into the bulkhead breaking both an arm and a leg. I showed back up to get take the boat out of the water and it was tied up with no one around. I asked around and they said they all were gone to the ER. Last time I ever loaned anyone my boat.