Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod and Reel lost near Atkinson Island

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Snapshot's Avatar

Rod and Reel lost near Atkinson Island

Today I met with Beckman. We put in at Sylvian Beach boat ramp with no expectations, only hopes of finding a few fish. We Launched about 7:15 after buying some beautiful live shrimp at the bait shop there. Linda's Bait and Tackle at the pier and park. Having no clue where to fish we headed towards the ship channel and stopped to drift in about 9 feet of water. We had live shrimp and used a bobbers most of the time. We would adjust the sliding corks to the depth we were in. We caught a few hard head and gaff top. When the bite slowed we pulled up and headed across the channel and caught a few more gaff top and hard heads. We drift fished and I had one line in the water draggin near or on the bottom in addition to the cork floating rod. I hung up a few times on the bottom but was getting an occasional hit. Most of the gaff top must have been hungry as they hit hard. I put down the bottom fishing rod and was picking something up when a whale grabbed that bait and headed for Galveston. I reached for the rod as it flew over the gunnel. I grabbed and missed it twice. I watched the cork handle go under water and disappear in the somewhat tea colored waters. Fortunately, it was not one of the expensive rods/reel combo but one of my favorite spinning reel set ups. We caught maybe 12 or so gaff top that ranged from 3 to 7 or 8 pounds and had a great time as they put up a better fight than the Lake Houston channel cats. Steve and I talked about what could have hit it so hard the it yanked it from under my foot and into the water so fast. Sure would like to have seen that one. There was a slight breeze most of the time but it was getting hot quick. We headed in about 11 A.M., loaded up and headed home. I told Steve he could keep all those slimy gaff top but we had tossed them back. All in all, it was another interesting and fun day on the water. Moral of the story is, you never know what might bite when fishing the salt water nor should you just lay a rod down without securing it.
    ***** FISH ONLY BITE WET HOOKS *****

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    Snap I'm willing to bet if y'all woulda went through that cut going towards Thompson's bait camp & drift fished those shallows just outside the channel goin that way y'all woulda racked up some red, black drum, nice croakers, specks eerrra few flounder. That area usually always hold feesh if the tide is right.
    That big flat out in front of Thompson's I'd usually good too....

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    Either way y'all got pulled on....I've seen aahh few rods take rides before from being unattended laying round in the boat....

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Snapshot's Avatar
    Fred, do you mean the cut (channel) that goes between Hog island and Atkinson island? We we on the East side of the ship channel and West side of Atkinson and just drifting. I will never lay another rod down when I have rod holders all over the boat. A light drag would also have saved the rod&reel.
    ***** FISH ONLY BITE WET HOOKS *****

Senior Member Master in FishingTX GILBERT G's Avatar
    Snap if you put in at Thompson's just go straight across and you will come up to Atkinson Island fish all along the Rocks like Killa says you will get Reds & specks, next to Thompson's theres old broken down shrimp boats they hold nice sheepheads thats the area I fish Thompson's is where Capt Mickey Eastman launch from, if you happen to see him there he will give you fishing location or at least he has given me tips
    God Be With You

Senior Member FishingTX Accomplished Angler beckman1942's Avatar
    Ray, it was an interesting trip as I know very little about salt water fishing. Hated to see you lose that fishing pole. Whatever it was, it snatched it out of the boat fast. I look forward to going again soon.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Thanks for write up and pics.

One of those gaftop can easily yank a R&R out a boat. Shark, Red or a big ugly could be the culprit as well.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Senior Member FishingTX Skilled Angler ChaWhitney's Avatar
    You did a lot better fishing than I did working, even if you lost a rod and reel. I think most of us have had that happen.
    Good judgement is a result of experience. Experience is often the result of bad judgement.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX luckydog's Avatar
    Sounds like a jack fish took your R&R on seanic trip of upper Galveston bay. Better luck next time.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Lou The Fisherman's Avatar
    SNAP - you don't like Gaff Top fillets??
    When is the best time to go fishing? Whenever you can go. Just do it!