PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasion Discussion

BassingtxLady
12-28-2012, 06:36 PM
We are considering January 19 as the date for Eric to meet up with FishingTX members at my residence and having an informal discussion regarding crime prevention, home defense options, weapons and ammo choices, things he has seen on burglary and home invasion scenes, and what to do when the police arrive. He is not a certified instructor, but has been lucky enough to attend some really good training schools regarding these topics. He can also share what he has seen on the streets as well regarding burglaries and home invasion.

He cannot however, discuss in depth the tactics or run scenarios with attendees. With that being said, He is able to discuss whatever you want. I believe that he has some information that will prove beneficial and I hope that everyone will bear with him because he says he is no instructor.

You are welcome to bring a gun, but we insist that it remain unloaded while you are here.

Here is a list of topics Eric plans to discuss:
1. Weapons and ammo selections
2. Grips and shooting postures
3. Lights
4. Covert searching
5. Active shooter scenarios
6. Residence crime prevention
7. And if time permits, he can discuss vehicle defense options..

He will provide copies of the current legislation, but will not be allowed to interpret any portion of it as that would be considered offering legal advice, which he is not allowed to do as a police officer. Eric can discuss it, but can’t really get too much into it. He can provide some tips when invoking but that's about it.

We cannot allow any convicted felons to attend. All attendees will be required to sign in with their complete name, date of birth and Texas Driver’s License number for Eric’s records.

I know we have mentioned cooking and eating some good food, but I have no desire to miss anything Eric has to say. I think this would work if we had an AM meeting, because Eric can finish his discussion and maybe then we could then do a little cooking.

Snapshot
12-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Rod, this is a great opportunity for all of us and I hope everyone appreciates this generous offer and will stick to the ground rules. There are not many professional people that would consider this and we are most fortunate to have him mengle and associate with us.

vett0111
12-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a great get together.

dan_wrider
12-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Who is Eric? Is he a member here? Just curious.

BassingtxLady
12-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Eric is a longtime member and active on the board. His board name is Evisue'sDaddy. Eric is a Houston Police Officer who volunteered to do this because the subject came up and he thought he might be of assistance. The conversation started with this thread http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?28679-Home-Invasion-Safety-What-shotgun-do-you-prefer

dan_wrider
12-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Cool, thanks Mr Rodsmith.

BassingtxLady
12-29-2012, 08:11 AM
sounds like a plan to me....

BassingtxLady
12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I think for food, FishingTX might donate a couple of the big picnic plate type things from someplace like Walmart.

eviesue'sdaddy
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
For those who weren't a part of the previous thread that rod posted a link to, we were having a discussion regarding home defense and crime prevention tips. Although I am no instructor, I have been through numerous tactical schools and am assigned to a unit that specializes in educating the public regarding residence crime prevention.. I will be covering lots of topics, but will focus on tips for setting up your home to hopefully minimize the chance of burglary or home invasion. I will be discussing what I have seen on burglary scenes as well as home invasion scenes, which are becoming much more common than they used to be.
Like I stated, I am no instructor and this will not be a formal setting by any means. However, I believe that I can provide some information to whoever is interested that will be useful.

KingTut
12-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Just let me know when-I'll be there! Thanks, Eric! Sounds very interesting and anytime spent with my fellow fisherman is a good time!!!!!

BassingtxLady
12-30-2012, 05:39 PM
New Information:
Location - my residence - 19203 Lazy Lane - Porter, TX (exact directions later)
Basic presentation will take 2 to 3 hours, but questions and answers will probably take a little longer.
We will get started at 9:00 a.m.
I only have 10 outside chairs, so you might consider bringing one
No alcohol

Gentleben
12-31-2012, 10:07 AM
You have possecions of the checkbook..
I think for food, FishingTX might donate a couple of the big picnic plate type things from someplace like Walmart.

kingwoodcatfisherman
12-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Ill get with you rod a few days before . I own a vending company .... I can bring a variety drinks and grab some food trays at SAMs club so we won't need to break out the checkbook for that . This is a great thing and it will be very helpful for us !! Thank you for organizing this !!

BassingtxLady
01-08-2013, 08:41 AM
OK everyone. It is time to get down to brass tacks.
I need to have some idea of how many of you will be able to come.
Start time 9:00
Probably 2 or 3 hours of presentation
Extra time for questions
Drinks and snacks courtesy of Jeff

3. Lights
4. Covert searching

Before you start asking, please go back through the thread to see if it has been covered.

My residence is 19203 Lazy Lane, Porter.
Leave Porter on FM 1314 and go about 4 miles toward Conroe.
Lazy Lane is the first street to the left past the Riverwalk light at the Riverwalk Subdivision
I live about 1/2 of the way down on the right.
My mailbox has big numbers.
My house is pretty far off the road
Park on the grass on the left side of the driveway.
The ground is hard and you will not get stuck
I will have two cars already parked so just park next to them and start a line
They will be far enough off the driveway that there will be room for 2 lines of cars

KingTut
01-08-2013, 11:14 PM
I'll be there! If I can bring anything, just let me know. Thanks for hosting this Rod, I'm looking forward to it!

BassingtxLady
01-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Is this still going to be on the 19th? i did look over the posts and that's the only date i see....of course i do have old eyes too....so if i'm wrong forgive me...i just don't want to miss this event...

thanks....

Gentleben
01-09-2013, 09:42 AM
This is whta I see on the dtae , someone correct me if i am wrong!!!!!!
We are considering January 19 as the date for Eric to meet up with FishingTX members at my residence and having an informal discussion regarding crime prevention, home defense options, weapons and ammo choices, things he has seen on burglary and home invasion scenes, and what to do when the police arrive. He is not a certified instructor, but has been lucky enough to attend some really good training schools regarding these topics. He can also share what he has seen on the streets as well regarding burglaries and home invasion.

He cannot however, discuss in depth the tactics or run scenarios with attendees. With that being said, He is able to discuss whatever you want. I believe that he has some information that will prove beneficial and I hope that everyone will bear with him because he says he is no instructor.

You are welcome to bring a gun, but we insist that it remain unloaded while you are here.

3. Lights
4. Covert searching

He will provide copies of the current legislation, but will not be allowed to interpret any portion of it as that would be considered offering legal advice, which he is not allowed to do as a police officer. Eric can discuss it, but can’t really get too much into it. He can provide some tips when invoking but that's about it.

We cannot allow any convicted felons to attend. All attendees will be required to sign in with their complete name, date of birth and Texas Driver’s License number for Eric’s records.

I know we have mentioned cooking and eating some good food, but I have no desire to miss anything Eric has to say. I think this would work if we had an AM meeting, because Eric can finish his discussion and maybe then we could then do a little cooking.

BassingtxLady
01-09-2013, 04:06 PM
The 19th it is.

Gentleben
01-09-2013, 07:01 PM
I will be there if i don't have to work.

KingTut
01-10-2013, 04:13 AM
Is this still going to be on the 19th? i did look over the posts and that's the only date i see....of course i do have old eyes too....so if i'm wrong forgive me...i just don't want to miss this event...

thanks....

See ya there Gurl! And hey, shouild I bring my Super Duper Knot Tying Machine for old time's sake???:icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

BassingtxLady
01-10-2013, 06:47 AM
See ya there Gurl! And hey, shouild I bring my Super Duper Knot Tying Machine for old time's sake???:icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

uh...NO......:hang:

BassingtxLady
01-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Only one week to go.
So far, very few people have indicated they would be attending.
If you are coming let us know.

TexasTomGoneFishin
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I just found this thread. Very generous offer from Eric and all the others contributing location, food, etc. It sounds like a great opportunity to learn from a pro. If this is still on, I would like to come. I will let you know for sure tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tom

BassingtxLady
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
The Presentation is still on.
9:00 a.m. my house, Saturday.
We will probably set up in my living room where it is a little warmer.
We will start of with some coffee and donuts

Up dated list

Kingtut
BassinTxLady
Ben if he doesn't have to work
TexasTomGoneFishin - Tom Cooper
Jeff Shipley
Me
Eric Tewes

eviesue'sdaddy
01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Oh man!!! Rod you said the magical words to a cop.... Coffee and donuts!!!

vett0111
01-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Oh man!!! Rod you said the magical words to a cop.... Coffee and donuts!!!

BAwhahhah To funny

BassingtxLady
01-17-2013, 07:52 AM
It is now only 2 days until the presentation.Here is an update.

Start time 9:00
Probably 2 or 3 hours of presentation
Extra time for questions

No alcohol
No loaded weapons

3. Lights
4. Covert searching

Before you start asking, please go back through the thread to see if it has been covered.

My residence is 19203 Lazy Lane, Porter.
Leave Porter on FM 1314 and go about 4 miles toward Conroe.
Lazy Lane is the first street to the left (at Exxon station) past the Riverwalk light at the Riverwalk Subdivision
I live about 1/2 of the way down on the right.
My mailbox has big numbers.
My house is pretty far off the road
Park on the grass on the left side of the driveway.
The ground is hard and you will not get stuck
I will have two or three vehicles already parked so just park next to them and start a line
They will be far enough off the driveway that there will be room for 2 lines of cars if needed
Come in the back door

If you just get totally lost, my home phone is 281-577-1005.

We will probably set up in my living room to get out of the cold.

BassingtxLady
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
I will see all of you tomorrow at 9:00 a.m.

eviesue'sdaddy
01-18-2013, 08:44 PM
I am getting everything together for tomorrow morning.. I am looking forward to seeing everyone. Plus, there will be coffee and donuts.

undercoverbassman
01-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Mr. Rod and Eric, I will be there. Have to head out about 11 though

vett0111
01-18-2013, 10:01 PM
I'll be there as well RodSmith

kingwoodcatfisherman
01-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Hey folks ... Regretfully I had an emergency to take my girls to the cheerleader competition in Dallas tonight and I can't make it in the morning because I am getting there after 2 am tonight .

I'm really disappointed and feel bad I volunteered the coffee and donuts . Ill be glad to pay y'all back if someone who is attending can bring the supplies , ill pay you back .
Thank you . Jeff

Vetto if you can take care of this ill pay you back with ammo. !!!!! Lol

TexasTomGoneFishin
01-18-2013, 10:52 PM
I'll be glad to bring donuts. How many people? Eric, any particular type/flavor? Don't want you working on empty (or second-class donuts) now! :dinnertime:

Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow.

Tom

BassingtxLady
01-19-2013, 12:43 AM
I am regretfully not going to make it either....something suddenly came up....hope you all have a great time....

BassingtxLady
01-19-2013, 06:36 AM
I will take care of the donuts, coffee, drinks and snacks. See you at 9:00 a.m.

I have the Donuts and they are here

vett0111
01-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks Eric for taking time to talk to us and give us useful info